New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - screen randomly goes black

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

angelo9888

angelo9888 is on a distinguished road

hello again
there is one more problem with my imac! **** this thing it has like 1 million problems!
anyways the problem goes like this: the screen randomly goes black... i m just like chatting or i m on firefox and suddenly the screen goes black... no sound nothing just a black screen and i have to shut it down and then it works fine again...
anyways i went to the console messages and got these lines when the screen went black

8/3/09 2:01:20 PM [0x0-0x17017].org.videolan.vlc[157] [0x280338] main interface error: no interface module matched "globalhotkeys,none"
8/3/09 2:01:20 PM [0x0-0x17017].org.videolan.vlc[157] [0x280338] main interface error: no suitable interface module
8/3/09 2:01:20 PM [0x0-0x17017].org.videolan.vlc[157] [0x201768] main libvlc error: interface "globalhotkeys,none" initialization failed
8/3/09 2:01:20 PM [0x0-0x17017].org.videolan.vlc[157] [0x201768] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
8/3/09 2:01:22 PM [0x0-0x17017].org.videolan.vlc[157] Interface initialization failed
8/3/09 2:01:22 PM com.apple.launchd[70] ([0x0-0x17017].org.videolan.vlc[157]) Exited with exit code: 1
8/3/09 2:01:32 PM [0x0-0x18018].org.mozilla.firefox[159] Debugger() was called!
8/3/09 2:01:55 PM [0x0-0x18018].org.mozilla.firefox[159] Debugger() was called!

and thanks....
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Have you run Disk Uitilty and verified permissions and the HD?
If not, you should, but run it from the install disc.
If you don't have them try the fsck command. If you search here you'll find a "how to" about that.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
angelo9888

thanks for the help mate...
i just did it...
but how is this going to help me with the black screen thing?? (i m asking in the best possible way)
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Well verifying permissions etc and the HD may turn up some problems with the OS that Disk Utility can fix.
FSCK will almost certainly fix it if it's an OS problm, but this is a process of elimination, it could be a video card problem, or a loose connection to the screen, but start with software and then do hardware is my way of looking at it.
Did Disk Utility come up with any errors?
Do you have a Hardware test disc?

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
angelo9888

yeah i did both permission and disk check... the disk was ok although i had permission problems... but the thing is that i just had a clean install yesterday... i really hope that this fixed my problem... and thank you very much for the help...

and i have this problem as well

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/app...m-problem.html

take a look at it if it doesn't bother you, although i restarted the nvram and it seems that this solved it... not sure though....
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

How old is your iMac? It can't be that old being an Aluminium model. Is it still in warranty?
I read the other thread and that's quite unusual and worrying, and certainly not right.
I would definitely run a hardware check now, just to see if it throws anything up, but it may be a power supply problem.

QUOTE Thanks
angelo9888

it is like 2 years old...
and the warranty was just for one year
and yes that was what i suspected.. do you think it is the power cable or something from the inside?
QUOTE Thanks
angelo9888

the thing is that i have only one installation disk which i think is the upgrade disk or something... so when i restart my mac and press the d button nothing happens...
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo9888 View Post
the thing is that i have only one installation disk which i think is the upgrade disk or something... so when i restart my mac and press the d button nothing happens...
That's as it should be...pressing the "d" button will do nothing...you're supposed to hold down the "c" button if you want it to boot from the CD/DVD drive. Assuming your iMac will boot or can boot from this CD/DVD!

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
You're supposed to hold down the "c" button if you want it to boot from the CD/DVD drive...assuming your iMac will boot from this CD/DVD!

- Nick
Not for the Hardware test, Angelo was right, and then it appears you don't have the right disc.
What OS are you running?

QUOTE Thanks
angelo9888

10.5.7 the installation disk is 10.5 though....
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
Not for the Hardware test, Angelo was right, and then it appears you don't have the right disc.
What OS are you running?
Angelo mentioned having an "installation" disk...that as nothing to to with the hardware test...so holding down the "d" key will not help when trying to boot from an installation disk.

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

pigoo3:

Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

Angelo, you need to read that too, just to check. If you have a generic leopard disc (dvd) you won't have the Hardware test built in.

QUOTE Thanks
angelo9888

yeah that's what i got... so what do i do now????
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
pigoo3:

Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

Angelo, you need to read that too, just to check. If you have a generic leopard disc (dvd) you won't have the Hardware test built in.
Thanks for the info...but as I mentioned previously, "Angelo" never said anything about running the hardware test...but I do agree that running the hardware test would be a good thing to try.

Angelo also mentioned in the link to another thread that the computer is a 20" Aluminum 2.0 ghz iMac. The computer shipped with Mac OS 10.4.10.

Angelo also mentioned in this thread that the installation disk is OS 10.5. So my guess is the disk does NOT have the hardware test, or it's not a disk that came with the computer...so it may not even be a compatible disk for the computer.

So all this talk about hardware test is just a waste of time!

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Odd noise and light | Ordering iMac from Usa to Finland. Looking for advices and tips. »