Thread: G4 DP to G5

G4 DP to G5
    I want to upgrade my G4 DP 1.25 GHz (Mirror Doors, 2 GB memory) to a G5 tower. What is the minimum G5 model I should look for to get a substantial improvement in performance? I do photography, video and web design and want to run Adobe CS4 Master Collection at a reasonable speed. I can only afford a new MacPro with difficulty but not a good monitor as well (I'm still using two 21" CRTs) so I would prefer to save some money and look for a second-hand G5.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Specs:
    PMG5 2.0 DP/9800XT, PBG4 1.5 12"
    Get a dual G5 and stay way from the 1.6GHz/1.8GHz single processor - they probably wouldn't feel much faster than your dual G4 1.25.
    "Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy. And be happy." PPC works for me..

Specs:
    PMG5 2.0 DP/9800XT, PBG4 1.5 12"
    edit: sorry double post
    "Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy. And be happy." PPC works for me..

Specs:
    Imac 27", 3.3GHz, 512 flash storage, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra.
    And if the readies run to it, get a Dual Core G5 rather than a Dual Processor model. They use DDR2 memory which is faster, gave PCIE slots and run PCIE graphic cards, all a lot faster.

As a suggestion steer well clear of the liquid cooled models such as 2.7GHz DP.

thanks
    Thanks guys. This is the info I needed.

Thread Information