New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Inquiry Mac Pro for OS X server

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Orguss

Orguss is on a distinguished road

Ok the boss just gave me an OK to get him a price for Hardware and OS to run a Mac server, Casper will be install on it.

I am not a Mac admin, but thrown in to support them.

Need suggestion:

1. Hardware to go with running a server OS.

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Here are the system requirements for OS X Leopard Server (source, p. 32):
- An Intel processor or PowerPC G5 or G4 (867 MHz or faster) processor
- At least 1 gigabyte (GB) of random access memory (RAM)
- At least 20 gigabytes (GB) of disk space available
- An active connection to a secure Ethernet network

As for the soon to be released OS X Snow Leopard Server (Sept. 2009), the requirements are as follows (source):
- Mac desktop or server with Intel processor
- 10GB of available disk space
- 2GB of RAM

How many clients are we talking about here?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Orguss

Thanks, I went ahead and contact one of the apple consultant and they gave me a quote.

Xserve:
# One 2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (quad-core)
# 3GB (3x1GB)
# On-board SATA/SAS Controller
# 160GB Serial ATA ADM @ 7200-rpm
# 8x SuperDrive DL (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
# NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 256MB
# Single 750W Power Supply
# Rack Mounting Kit - Square Hole Rack

and OS X Server Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

You are not limited to using an Xserve if it proves not to meet your needs. For instance, I believe the user Nethfel runs OS X Server on a Mac Mini but I could be wrong. This article talks about one individual who ran it on a Mini as well. That said, you need to decide what machine fits your needs based on specs. A good place to start would be to browse what is available through the Apple website.

You may also want to take a look at these videos available on the iTMS (free) if you're interested. The one's I've seen aren't too technical but will give you a good sense of how OS X Server works and what to expect. In fact, these videos show the individuals using OS X server on a MBP.

Also, depending on your needs, you may not need OS X server and might be fine with OS X. What are you planning to have this machine do?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Orguss

Vansmith- it's going to be a domain server with Casper install to be able to push packages and distribute software via to remote locations.
QUOTE Thanks
Orguss

Vansmith- Thank you for the vid link..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dual 2GHZ PowerPC G5 - Video Card Replacement? | keyboard problem »