New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Unable to see External HD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RickRude

RickRude is on a distinguished road

All,

i plugged my External HD i used to save all my music,films and photos form my PC that broke into my Imac

It picked it up fine. i moved some music and photos off and that worked fine but i then knocked out the USB lead going into the HD.

When i plugged it back in the IMAC can not see it. Does anybody have any suggestions
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

First, make sure the USB cable wasn't damaged when the drive was accidently removed. Try another cable, try another USB port. Reboot the machine.

If no joy, attach the HD and open Disk Utility (Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility.app). Can you see the drive?

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
RickRude

Hi,

yes when i open D Utility it does show the drive but i can not open it
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

OK, Disk Utility can see the drive. That's good. What format is the drive using? FAT-32? NTFS?

If the drive is formatted to FAT-32, try running a verify and repair from Disk Utility. If the drive is formatted to NTFS, it's going to be read only - verify and repair won't work.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
RickRude

Hi the disk has partition in which the mac pick up fine when i highligt the main bulk of the disk wher i am trying to get into and verify it just looks at the partition even though i have highlighted the other part? does this make sense
QUOTE Thanks
RickRude

basically when i power the drive on it just brings up the the partition which is empty but i can not get to all my folders and files just can not see them
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

I'm not sure what's going on with your drive but it appears it may have been corrupted when you removed it. If the partition table was damaged, Disk Utility is not going to be able to do anything with it.

Do you have a working PC that you can plug the drive into?

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
stkitts

stkitts is on a distinguished road

Try unplugging the external drive and leave it unplugged for a minute or so and then plug it back in. I had a similar problem and that fixed it.
QUOTE Thanks
RickRude

Thanks guys.

you know what i think its knackered. I plugged it into a PC and it wont pick up.

The odd thing is this is a 500Gb drive and when it open on the mac i can see the drive saying 372GB but just cant seem to access it apart from the bit i partioned

Sucks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Pc Tech Needs Mac Tech's Help | Value of an iMac? »