New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - powermac g4 won't start up

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Powermac

Powermac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: powermac g4 80gb HD 768mb ram superdrive os x 10.4.11 iPod touch 2nd Gen

Hi, I have a powermac g4 quicksilver and it has no ram or HD, and every time I stared it, it would say that their was an error and it need to be restared and it would keep doing this over and over. Would this be a processor issue or just because it does not have a HD. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

If it has no ram or hard drive how is it going to boot? Even booting from a cd/dvd, it has to have some ram or memory to do anything.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

You can't boot a machine with no RAM - that doesn't make any logical sense. A machine needs RAM to store temporary data. On top of this, with no HD, the computer has nothing to boot. What is it supposed to boot into?

If you did boot from a live CD, you could boot with no HD but you wouldn't have any memory to run the contents of the live CD. Booting with no memory and HD is like having a brain (processor) without any long term (HD) or short term memory (RAM). It would be a useless brain.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

We have been over this before and as told last time it is impossible to boot in this condition. Pop in a HDD and some memory and start from there.
QUOTE Thanks
Powermac

Powermac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: powermac g4 80gb HD 768mb ram superdrive os x 10.4.11 iPod touch 2nd Gen

I just need to know if the symtoms are normal for runing it with no HD or ram, becasue I need to know if it is going to work if I buy some ram and a HD to put into it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« can't find the portable Hard Drive icon | some kind of an error? »