New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - powermac g4 processor

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Powermac

Powermac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: powermac g4 80gb HD 768mb ram superdrive os x 10.4.11 iPod touch 2nd Gen

Hi, I have a powermac g4 533mhz and I want to upgrade the processor, and I was wondering if I can buy a diffrent powermac's processor on ebay and exchange it with my current processor to gain speed so I can upgrade to 10.5. On eBay their is a powermac g4 mdd's processor that is 867mhz dual, would that work. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

As far as Apple CPU's you can upgrade to a 667 and possibly a 733 (not sure on the last one). Otherwise the other CPU's will not work in the Digital Audio. You can get an after market upgrade by Sonnet and other manufactures.

Most of the new Upgrade CPU's are not cheap.

Here are some examples.

Processor Upgrades for your Apple PowerMac G4 Digital Audio 533MHz (2001) at OtherWorldComputing.com

Also check Ebay for PowerLogic, Sonnet, Giga Design or just put in G4 CPU. Be sure it will work in the Digital Audio though.

Here is the URL for Sonnet.

Sonnet: Product - Encore/ST G4 - Power Mac G4 Processor Upgrade Card
QUOTE Thanks
Powermac

Mac Specs: powermac g4 80gb HD 768mb ram superdrive os x 10.4.11 iPod touch 2nd Gen

so why might the 733mhz not work, because I found them very cheap on ebay. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

If you can not find or afford a faster CPU, you can fool 10.5 into installing by using Leopard Assist. It tells 10.5 that you are running a 867Mhz G4.

LeopardAssist | Install Mac OS X Leopard on Older G4s.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I'm know dtravis7 will agree with me on this - while possible, if you want Leopard, don't try and fool it into installing on hardware that falls below the system requirements. It will be a painful experience if you do.

(I assume that you want the upgrade to use Leopard).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Powermac

ok so would a quicksilver cpu work in it,because I only know that their are cheap cpu's and very expensive cpu's a quicksilver's cpu would be a good mid range price and speed. Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Agreed, it will not be a ball of fire for sure, but it will work for just very basic stuff in a pinch, although it's not bad on my old Quicksilver 733 Mhz with 1.5GB RAM.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

As long as it meets the system requirements, you should be able to install Leopard on it. Here are the system requirements. Also note that just because you meet the system requirements, it doesn't guarantee that everything will be smooth. This will be more noticeable the closer you get to the minimum requirements.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

MacMod Forums • View topic - Install Quicksilver CPU into Digital Audio

733 Quicksilver processor in a 733 Digital Audio....Possible??? | Applefritter

You have to do a small Mod with a 12 volt rail, but with that done they say it will work.

Apple - Support - Discussions - Quicksilver G4 Processor into Digital ...
QUOTE Thanks
Powermac

ok Thanks to everyone!!
QUOTE Thanks
Davcoccio

Davcoccio is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook White 2GB

why not a brand new Mac? ^^

QUOTE Thanks
Powermac

Because the cpu on ebay is only 20 dollars and a new mac would be a min. of 1000 dollars.But I might get a new macbook in the near future.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can someone measure an imac for me? | mac mini as media center »