New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Ľ Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Ľ Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Mouse Freeze and Keyboard not working

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tdumont

tdumont is on a distinguished road

Greetings all, I have a similar issue to others in the freeze category with a twist of sorts.

I had lots of problems off and on with the wireless keyboard and mouse and replaced them with the USB versions.

Last night (while running Safari) the mouse froze, the red light (on the bottom) was still on, however the keyboard appeared to be non-functional as evidenced by pressing the CapsLock and not getting any response from the LED.

On a whim, I unplugged both keyboard and mouse and reattached - no change.

The last time this happened was last week and I just hit the power button (I didn't know what else to do) and all was well. This time it sort of sounded like the hard drive or a fan (?) spun up briefly and stopped and while the red light on the bottom of the mouse was on, there was no further indication of any activity including having just the the black screen and the keyboard appeared to be non-functional.

I completely removed power from the system for about an hour and tried again, still no joy.

This morning for the heck of it I hit the power and everything seems to be working fine.

So I guess the question is: since the machine is under Apple care, I was thinking of calling for service, but can they tell if anything is wrong if it is working when it is checked? OR is there a better explanation for what is going on - like a simple cure? What do you folks suggest?

Thanks and sorry for the verbose post.
Tom
QUOTE Thanks
BlueMac

BlueMac is a jewel in the roughBlueMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7

Make sure that everything is plugged in well and correctly. You might have just had a process overload that froze the computer up. Just restart next time it happens by using command+control+power button. Or if the keyboard won't work, just force shutdown and hold down the power button.

Flickr

Last.fm
Si, hablo Espa˝ol. Oui, je parle franšais. Yes, I speak English.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

And the keyboard is plugged directly into the machine and NOT through a USB port?
QUOTE Thanks
tdumont

Everything is plugged in correctly. The top left of the machine is very hot and this has happened twice more.

I'm calling Apple and in the mean time the old Dell windows box is working perfectly well.

Thanks for the help tho....
QUOTE Thanks
tdumont

I thought I'd write back and let everybody know the resolution:

It was a power supply apparently causing overheating.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« THinking of making the switch to mac.. | connecting power g4 to macbook pro »