New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Imac Black screen of death?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MikeH

MikeH is on a distinguished road

I love my imac.. but infortunately, it's giving me problems. I have Windows XP partitioned onto the driver (using boot camp) in order to play a game (Star wars Galaxies). well it works fantastic.. I love it. BUT.. about 50-60% of the time if I Alt-Tab. My screen will freeze for 5-6 seconds.. and then the screen goes totally black. It happens after I run it for a while.. or right when i turn it on.. so i don't think it's a heat problem. I tried updating the video card drivers but I can't find anything more up to date then what came on the discs from Mac. Is there anybody else having this problem?

P.S. It doesn't happen on the mac side, that I've seen.. I tried to make it happen on WoW.... and it just won't freeze up.. Thanks!

This is a generation before the current generation mac..So it's new(er) but not brand new. And it's been happening since day 1.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Try downloading and installing the Boot Camp 2.1 update. It contains updated drivers and may resolve your video problem. Link

Important note: The file is a Windows executable and must be run from within Windows.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
MikeH

MikeH is on a distinguished road

I ran the update but the driver has not changed, same driver version and version date. So I guess mac didn't update that particular driver.
I've been searching for a while and apparently a TON of people are having this problem with this video card (Radeon HD 2600 XT). So I don't think it's a mac problem itself. I just wanted to see if anybody in here has encountered this and how they fixed it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« g3 tower model | iMac G5 issue (random symptoms and more) »