New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Does this iMac support screen spanning?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jackfranklin

jackfranklin is on a distinguished road

I'm told some iMacs will and some wont, can anyone say for sure if this one will or wont?

iMac G5. PowerMac 8,2. Power PC G5 (3.1). 2Ghz. 1 CPU. 2Gb Ram. 667 Mhz Bus speed. Boot Rom Version 5.2.5f1.
Video Card is ATI Radeon 9600.

How much of a risk is it using this Screen doctor program?
Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Yes it does support spanning
Apple iMac G5/1.8 17-Inch Specs (iMac G5 - M9249LL/A) @ EveryMac.com

The hack Screen Doctor simply unlocks the capabilities of the graphics card that apple chose to limit

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
jackfranklin

So to be clear, would I need to use Screen Doctor on that Mac or will it work out of the box?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

It will and it won't.

Quote:
2nd Display Support: Mirroring Only* 2nd Max. Resolution: 1024x768*

Details: Apple reports that this system has a "VGA output port for video mirroring on an external display or projector", and supports output resolutions of "640 x 480 pixels at 60Hz, 800 x 600 pixels at 75Hz and 1024 x 768 pixels at 75Hz".
e.g. It supports a 2nd screen in mirroring mode only out of the box.

Quote:
However, the hardware is capable of using an external display in dual or "extended desktop mode", Apple just blocked the capability in firmware to protect sales of more expensive Macs. Unsupported third-party hacks are available.
The hack provides support for extended desktop mode.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
jackfranklin

Ok thank you. Just to clarify, is this the adapter I need?
Apple VGA Display Adapter - Display adapter - HD-15: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

And if something does go wrong with ScreenDoctor, is it an easy fix?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

There should be no reason for an adapter at all. That iMac has a standard VGA port. Shouldn't need any adapter if you're going to VGA on the 2nd monitor.

Don't know a thing about ScreenDoctor.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
jackfranklin

There is defo not a VGA socket, just a mini VGA one ;(
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New mac mini output too dim | Old Mac game wont play on new Mac »