New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - 24" iMac vs. Mac Pro for AVCHD editing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JeffBookPro

JeffBookPro is on a distinguished road

As I expected, my 2.4GHz iMac is a little slow at editing AVCHD in Final Cut Pro 6. Also, the encoding times for exporting the video is horrbile. (it took about 50 minutes to export a five minute video). I was planning on upgrading anyways this fall. Budget is not an issue, but I really do not want to go over $2,500.

So, would the high end 24" 3.06GHz iMac with 4 gigs of RAM (with a 4850 in it) compete on the level of the base 2.66GHz quad core Mac Pro (with a 4870 in it)?

Would the quad core, clocked at a slower speed, be better for editing and encoding AVCHD video content?

I am torn, because I love the beaut of my iMac and I love the expandability that the Mac Pro can bring me. However, if I do get the mac Pro I am going to sell my iMac to a friend. This will let me have the money to buy a nice 24" LG monitor (I love LG), and a blu ray burner.

If the Mac Pro is better than the high end iMac, I will probably be buying it. How about the 8core? Is the extra money worth it in performance?

In the End I will roughly be paying $2,500 for a mac pro with the 4870 included (due to student discount), or $2,144 for a 24" high end iMac with 4850 included in that price.

Macbook- 2.16GHz core 2 duo/2GB RAM/120GB Hard Drive
iMac 20" Aluminum 2.4GHz core 2 duo/4GB RAM/250GB Hard Drive
PC 3.5 GHz core 2 duo/8GB RAM/160GB Hard Drive/Nvidia GTX 275
QUOTE Thanks
guitarkid

guitarkid is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac24 3.06 ghz 1TB HD 4 gigs ram

the 24" 3.06 4 gig ram will do very nicely! i have it and love it...and may be selling it. only had it for 3 months. i want the quad core imac now for what i do, plus i'm getting into animation, which a quad will benefit from.

ROTTER studios - www.rotterstudios.com - Chicago photography, HD video and pro tools audio
QUOTE Thanks
vindivino

vindivino is on a distinguished road

Jeffbookpro

just curious what you ended up doing. I am in the same boat now refurb 08 mac pro or new imac quad core.........
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Isub not recognised | Buying Advice...Mac Pro 08 vs 09-10, or Imac Quad »