New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Green iMac DV won't turn on

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

2dmention

2dmention is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16Ghz Intel iMac 20"

My Dad has a green iMac DV that won't turn on. The green light comes on, and it makes the noise that it turned on, but the screen stays black and the computer doesn't make noise like it's running.

Is there a fix? Is it cheap, or should we think about buying a new computer? He's had it since 2000. He'd like to keep it and use it.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Most everyone around here except me and a few others will tell you to dump it.
I say put a new Pram Battery in it and see if it starts up. If it want you my have to dump it as other bad things like a back loop transformer gone bad can cause the same thing. You have to take the bottom off and the silver shield to get to the battery. Go luck.
QUOTE Thanks
2dmention

2dmention is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16Ghz Intel iMac 20"

Thanks duder. We turned it off and on and it seemed to work again. We'll replace the battery when we get the chance. Know of a good place to get the battery?
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

The battery is a 1/2 AA 3.6 volts. I buy mine off ebay. Its the same battery used in alarm systems. You can also look here.Find the latest Performance Upgrades, Firewire and USB Hard Drives, SATA, Memory, Laptop Battery, and more at OWC
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You can also pick up those batteries at Radio Shack (or Maplin in the UK)

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« m5183 G4 | Do I have a G3 or G4 »