New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - won't sleep

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chrismoore

chrismoore is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm using a new MacPro, 10.5.7. I had Energy Saver configured to sleep from 11p - 5a every night, and was under the impression that it was doing so. The slider is on "never" so it does not sleep during the day in case I have to remotely access it. I had to pull up the system log the other day and noticed that activity was taking place during these hours. So I observed at 11p last night and the machine did not sleep as scheduled. I did not even get the dialog box with the countdown confirming that it is about to go to sleep. I have my 2007 iMac configured with the exact same settings and it sleeps no problem. Any suggestions on where to start looking for the problem?
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
fletch33

fletch33 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz

the Pro sleeps when you close the lid and i would assume this is what is causing the differences in your settings. you can also set the Pro to "Wake for network access" in your energy settings.

"i believe louisiana is the pelican state"
QUOTE Thanks
chrismoore

I do have the wake for access box checked. Sorry, not sure what you mean by close the lid. It's a macpro desktop, not macbook pro.
QUOTE Thanks
fletch33

Mac Specs: 13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz

oops my bad i was thinking i was in the notebook section sorry about that

QUOTE Thanks
chrismoore

don't know if this helps but I manually put it to sleep last night and not too long later it woke up on its own. The entry from the system log:

Jul 16 22:08:17 MacPro kernel[0]: System Sleep
Jul 16 22:08:19 MacPro kernel[0]: Wake reason = PCI
Jul 16 22:08:19 MacPro kernel[0]: System Wake

Anyone know that this may mean?
QUOTE Thanks
fletch33

is this something that would solve your issue?

QUOTE Thanks
macdogger

macdogger is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 20" inch iMac.

hmm good question. my guess would probably concern your settings. try sleep when not in use in like certain hours? but if that does not work, please tell me! (:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Imac BT unable to connect to iPhone BT | Can someone measure an imac for me? »