New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Computer keeps shutting off

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mluna15

mluna15 is on a distinguished road

My 17" iMac keeps shutting off at random times! Please help...what is wrong with it? I don't want to take it to the Mac store and pay $$$$. I bought it used.
QUOTE Thanks
cameraman

cameraman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 266ghz, 4gig, 320gigHD, MacBook, 2.4ghz,250gigHD,4gigRam

Can you give us more info. on the computer ie. from "About this Mac" I believe later 17" iMacs were cooled by fan earlier ones were convection cooled. In any case dust on the inside of the computer may be causing it to overheat and shutting itself down or if it has a fan for the CPU and it quit that would cause it to shut down too. My girlfriends laptop would shut down at random times because dust was pacted in the CPU heatsink like a clothes dryer lint trap . I had to take it to work and use the air compressor to blow it out and it would be fine.

Rick
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My G5 never shuts down properly - ideas? | Installing Tiger and Leopard »