New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

eMac - eMac power button logic board connector broken off

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

edt2883

edt2883 is on a distinguished road

While installing a new HD on my 1.25 eMac, I snapped off the power button connector on my logic board . It was held in place by four small bent wires coming out of the bottom of the connector soldered to 4 pads on the logic board.

Does anyone have a quick fix, workaround so I can start the eMac without the power button or can forward me a photo,diagram or description of their connector and how it attaches to the board so I can orient the connector properly when I try to reconnect it?

Apparently, this is not unusual as the connection is so flimsy. No local repair shop will touch it. Thanks for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Any chance you can snap a pic?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by edt2883 View Post
can forward me a photo,diagram or description of their connector and how it attaches to the board so I can orient the connector properly when I try to reconnect it?
I'll send you via PM a link to manuals that may provide you with sufficient pictorial and instructional detail to effect repairs. If you can do hot-air soldering, that'd be better than a hot iron on those delicate connections.
QUOTE Thanks
edt2883

thanks - here is a link to some photos - sorry, some are a bit fuzzy...

Shaw Photo Share
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

This is the pic for anyone interested:

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

OK, took a closer look at the switch pictures. Looks like it's surface-mounted and the solder pads are still fixed. This shouldn't be terribly difficult, although it's hard to judge the scale and whether or not an SMD workstation would be needed.

If it's big enough that you can get a soldering iron in there, and if you're familiar with the orientation of the switch, it should just be a matter of heating up one of the pads, soldering the first leg, which should hold the other four fast. Then, just heat up the other three pads one at a time until the solder has encompassed each leg.

Of course, this assumes that you are comfortable with soldering technique.

If not, I think you should consult someone that does electronics repair (I would look in the yellow pages). It doesn't appear to be that hard of a job, but a lot of computer-specific repair shops aren't accustomed to repairing as much as replacing components.

QUOTE Thanks
edt2883

yep, I'll give that a go. I think the easiest is to solder 4 small wires to the pads then solder the other end of the wires to the connector and epoxy the connector somewhere that is free .

Anyone out there know the orientation of the connector?

There are 3 wires going into the connector from the power button. 1 large red one , 1 large black one and 1 small black one. The connector itself has 2 slots on the narrow ends, 1 'M' shaped cut along one long side and the other long side that is smooth.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« grey screen of panic | Graphic card »