New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - Firewire won't work Mac mini

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Maurice

Maurice is on a distinguished road

I can't get my firewire to work. I plugged my macbook to my mac mini to transfer files and it didn't work. I tried a different cable, still it didn't work. I then plugged my jvc camcorder and that didn't work either. Thanks any suggestions
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Run the Apple Hardware Test on your mini to see if the firewire port is functioning the way it's supposed to. You didn't say which mini you have - this link is for running the AHT on Intel powered machines.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Maurice

Sorry it's intel. I ran the hardware test and it says that there are no problems with any hardware. Now what? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Unfortunately the AHT is not always definitive but it's a good start. If your MacBook and the JVC Cam Corder both can not "see" the firewire port on the mini, it's possible the port is not functioning. As another test, try hooking both your mini and the MacBook via the firewire ports and see if you can use Target Mode. Link

Is your mini still under warranty? Apple care? If it is, you might consider either taking it on in or give support a call.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Thrilling

Thrilling is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Pro, 2.33GHz MacBook Pro, 20 inch ACD, a few cows...

One thing you should also try is a SMC and PRAM reset.

Apple.com - SMC reset
Apple.com - PRAM reset
QUOTE Thanks
Maurice

Tried the target mode, didn't work and also did the pram reset, still not working
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Try running Repair Permissions first up. Have you updated the software recently? Best advice is to run Repair Permissions, update, and run Repair Permissions again.

Keep us posted?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G4 Can't repair disc | G4-grey screen no spinning thing- can open in firmware »