New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Need Help With G-3

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dano33

dano33 is on a distinguished road

Hello, I need help getting my G3 to hookup to internet, as this is my first experience with an apple comp. I just expected it to be recognized on my network through my D Link Router by plugging it in, and i thought it would recognize the network, like my laptop does.
Can someone who knows about these g3 (Its blue) HELP me?
THANKS DANIEL
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

How is your network setup? I'm going to assume that if you expected it to simply be setup, it's DHCP (this is most likely the case). What version of OS X are you running? Are you sure the network card works?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
dano33

dano33 is on a distinguished road

Yes it would be DHCP , and it has os 9,1, I dont even know where or if it has a network card? How do i tell if it has one? Thanks Daniel
QUOTE Thanks
EmperorZurg

EmperorZurg can only hope to improve

My imac g3 goes online but not wireless...
QUOTE Thanks
EmperorZurg

EmperorZurg can only hope to improve

I am on tiger on my imac g3 but I have used panther and jaguar...
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

If you were able to plug in your network cable, you have a network card . Unfortunately, I can't help you with this one. Someone with more pre-OS X Mac knowledge is going to have to walk you through troubleshooting this one.

The only thing I can ask is this - when you plug in the network cable, does the network port light up or does a light near it light up?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Click on the Apple in the Top Left corner of the screen. Click on Control Panel. Then on TCP/IP. When that screen comes up look for a drop down menu and select Ethernet. On the Configure tab select DHCP or Using DHCP Server.

When you close the window be sure to click Save Settings. That should get the internet working at least. Plug it into a port on your router and give it time for it to get it's IP Address from the router. Some older Macs with OS9 I have worked with take a bit to get the IP.

If you need more help be sure to ask and let us know if this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Make shure Appletalk is on. The ethernet port is right next to the USB ports.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

AppleTalk really is for networking with other Macs. The Internet does not use AppleTalk. I usually do set it on though since I have a lot of old Macs.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

The guy said he was useing a network, he may have to run throw a hub.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Alternative Use for iMac screen | Imac Isight G5 20', fan connector wires »