New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Help please...imac wont do anything :(

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Macpunk

Hi..I have a problem with my imac
It has been running fine up until today. I recently installed OS X and everything worked just fine. But when i turned it on this morning nothing happned. I messed a bit with the cables and pulled out the powercord and plugged it in again. Then it imidiatly powered on and it just look like it's on stand-by. The harddrive doesn't boot and the mac icon doesn't show(the mac sound is gone to). the powerbutton isn't working either. Then, i pulled the powercord again and plugged it in again = same thing happened(or didn't happen).
What can I do?? Can't see why it should be broken just like that.

My specs are(not that they matter, I guess):

blue Imac G3 333 MhZ
192 mb ram
20 gb hd
Tray loading

Can i please have some pointers??, I really don't know what to do
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

are you able to boot the system at all, say from CD? Did you happen to have an electrical storm the night before or a power surge?
QUOTE Thanks
Macpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by deus_ex_machina
are you able to boot the system at all, say from CD? Did you happen to have an electrical storm the night before or a power surge?
NO and No, It wont boot or anything. And there has been no storm either. I really can't see what should be wrong with it.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

okay...what os are you running? Sounds similar to this...check it to see. it mentions PRAM reset, flyback transformer, power supply problem, etc.
http://www.macfixitforums.com/php/sh...=7&o=31&fpart=
Also: I'm unfamiliar with the iMac but the PMU IMO might work...read this
http://www.macworld.com/2002/07/secr...c911/index.php
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

Wasn't there a firmware problem with the older (teardrop) iMacs which prevented them from booting into OS X correctly?

(Similiar to this? http://www.macintouch.com/panfirmware.html)
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Mr Bobbins has a spectacular aura about

I've got an imac 333mhz lime and have pulled the cable on many occasions and never had a problem. It sounds like it's short circuited and blown the power supply. Does the fan turn on ?
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

I've got an imac 233mhz for my gf and it runs 10.3.8 reasonably well (for 256MB RAM) w/o problem. Although the previous owner installed Jaguar and I only upgraded it. With a bad power supply would it still trigger power lights just not enough juice to boot?
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by deus_ex_machina
With a bad power supply would it still trigger power lights just not enough juice to boot?
He said that the 'powerbutton isn't working either' so I'm not sure if this means that it's just non responsive or that it's not even lighting up ? I guess we will just have to wait and see.
QUOTE Thanks
Macpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bobbins
He said that the 'powerbutton isn't working either' so I'm not sure if this means that it's just non responsive or that it's not even lighting up ? I guess we will just have to wait and see.
The powere button is lighting up.
The fan is also working.

But something wierd happened. I turned it on this morning(to witness my misery once more), and it booted up like normally. Of course thats good, but i'm still pretty skeptic. I think it's the powersupply thats semi-****ed!
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Lets hope not as they are a classic in the Design history of iMacs, still look great to me. Give the machine a good testing and let us know if any further problems arise. :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
Macpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bobbins
Lets hope not as they are a classic in the Design history of iMacs, still look great to me. Give the machine a good testing and let us know if any further problems arise. :cool:
Are there any programs i can use for benchmarks??...I hope it will continue to work, cos i can't affford a new one
QUOTE Thanks
Macpunk

It's been working fine the last couple of days, but theres still something wrong with it. When it switches off to standby-mode and i move the mouse to "wake" it, it freezes...What can be wrong??
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Have you tried pressing the space bar on the keyboard. If it's running in OSX then you'll need to do this to wake it up.

Xbench can be used for benchmarking, here is the link:

http://www.xbench.com/
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Clear G5 Side Palnel? | Cannot install Office Mac 2004... »