Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

iMac 2.16Ghz constantly freezing
    Hey guys,

Just a quick one. Ive had my iMac about 2 and a half years and its been great. Lately though it has been freezing alot, and in the last month at least x10 a day. I thought it may be due to the heat of the machine, but its not that as it happened when the machine is cold. The graphics seem to be playing up aswell, for instance it has loads of line across the screen? ive searched for a graphics driver update, but their doesnt seem to be one? Ive even upgraded the RAM, no luck tho Is this a common fault? is so what can be done?

Thanks

Jay

Im no computer geek but can take a geuss that ur machines probly gettin old and clogged up with your stuff and god knows what else. My machine occasionaly gets like this and i cler some services etc

Works for me

thanks, how do i go about clearing stuff? is it just delete or it their a special way. Most of the stuff is on my External HD tho?

I used this video on youtube (as i said im no comouter geek)

YouTube - Speed Up Your Computer In 5 Minutes - Video 1 of 3

the guy explains it really well and it is very clear. You will find alot of stuff u never knew was there.

Also try the usual defrag and disk cleanup methods.

Specs:
    *27" imac C2D 3.0/1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Octo 2.8/4x1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Quad 2.66/2x1TB/8GB**iPhone 4*
    Quote Originally Posted by toffy View Post
    I used this video on youtube (as i said im no comouter geek)

YouTube - Speed Up Your Computer In 5 Minutes - Video 1 of 3

the guy explains it really well and it is very clear. You will find alot of stuff u never knew was there.

Also try the usual defrag and disk cleanup methods.
    Your heart is in the right for helping, unfortunately we are using mac's and not Pc's. In conjunction to the issue above I am leaning toward the video card. And if for some reason if a "clog up" is at hand, disk utility and erase free space will gain more HD space. Again sounds like video issues.
    Regards

Specs:
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    Certainly sounds like the video card, however, you could try resetting nvram and zapping the pram to see if it helps.
    Also, you could try something like Macjanitor, to run routine maintenance checks, and maybe do a hardware test, as this should show up any faults.
    Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

yea, theres loads free space, so i cant be that? ill try doing the pram thing. If its the video card, is that game over?

Specs:
    *27" imac C2D 3.0/1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Octo 2.8/4x1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Quad 2.66/2x1TB/8GB**iPhone 4*
    Quote Originally Posted by jaykay001 View Post
    yea, theres loads free space, so i cant be that? ill try doing the pram thing. If its the video card, is that game over?
    I believe as unfortunate as it sounds, the video card and lcd consume the most power from the computer so if card is on it's way out, then yes game over. If interested I can send you a trouble shooting guide. There are indicator lights on the logicboard that can confirm proper correspondence between logic and video.

yea, if could send that, i would be great.

Specs:
    Which machine are you currently using?

Im using a 2.16 GHz intel core 2 duo iMac running OS X 10.5.7 (white machine) with 2.5GB ram, also has a 1TB Ext HD. It has a ATI Radeon X1600 card, just incase you wanted to know.

Thanks

Jay

I have exactly the same problem. I was working on everything and even had it to the apple service for two weeks - they couldn’t find anything related to the hardware! So it was definetly the software. I had to reinstall 10.5.6 - now its stable again, still experiencing some fractals and lines, but much better. Hope for a new driver or fix of the problem with 10.5.8...

Question
    i am running the similar set up:
    2.16 GHz intel core 2 duo iMac running OS X 10.4.11 (white machine) with 3GB ram, ATI Radeon X1600 card

and i having be experiencing the same issues. weird lines across the screen on the desktop and in safari. but more worrisome is the freezing. mostly when watch online netflix stuff.

i kinda guessed it had to be graphic card related but what can be done?

BUMP.... Just wondering if anyone has found out ant new information on this. The problem is getting worse

Same here
    Ack! I'm glad that someone started this thread. I will follow it and hope that someone finds a resolution.

Thread Information