New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Your guesses to Mini Gaming options....(Im a FNG)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gauvain

Hello oh knowledgeable ones,

I am looking to see what games might be able to play on the mini. I am thinking maybe age of mythology (is it out for MAC yet?) AOE2, things like this...basicallly time consuming games not necessarily heavy graphics hitters like i play on my pc(which i a am leaving for good i think) such as BF1942, BFV...What games have been played on a similar MAC system with only 32mb of video ram (G4 1.42)? I will also be upgrading to a gig stick soon.

If that info helps.

Thanks a whole lot guys and gals!

Robert
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Do you know any place to download demos of games for mac? I would like to try more games but I don't want to pay for them only to have them not work well. I have tried World of Warcraft, I wasn't impressed.
QUOTE Thanks
Gauvain

Try here man under reviews

If you go for the reviews sometimes they have options for demos man.

Robert
QUOTE Thanks
ByzantineRemnant

ByzantineRemnant will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4

^You should be able to run AOE(which has been out for awhile) in 1024x768 res no prob.
The extra ram will help. Warcraft 3 will run fine, Command and Conquer Generals will be sluggish.
QUOTE Thanks
EvoMac

I play World of Warcraft on my mini (as a backup machine) with 1gb of RAM and it runs quite well. I also have AoMythology and play it at 1280 resolution and it runs perfect.
QUOTE Thanks
repeater75

You should go download the Aspyr Media hardware testing client. That thing will check your system against their database to tell you which of their games will run on your mac. I emailed someone there and they told me they have tested BF1942 on the mini and it ran decently.

I would not hesitate to tell you that non-3d games will run generally without any problems. Its the hardware T&L, pixel & vertex shaders and texture memory that are required by intensive 3d games that the mini is not quite up to. Many games will play nicely with extra effects turned down. Heck, its really a great opportunity to "rediscover" some of the classics from the late 90's that you may still have collecting dust on your shelf (like Starcraft! My favorite!). As long as you can play Starcraft or Quake on it, I'm there! And the mini can do both!
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Mr Bobbins has a spectacular aura about

Mac game files is also a good place to download demos.

http://www.macgamefiles.com/
QUOTE Thanks
Gauvain

thanks so much guys!

This is cool, I am getting away from all of the gaming in my life..time to move on. but its nice to have a AOM laying around to play or yes, even those older games too...maybe even cheaper to buy them also. Anyone know of a good shopping place for such software?

Robert
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Mr Bobbins has a spectacular aura about

If you like retro games then you should definitely give Oolite a go. It's based on the classic game of Elite. Check the web site out at http://oolite.aegidian.org/ Works great on my ibook.
QUOTE Thanks
najibs

Try a flight simulator called X-Plane www.x-plane.com
As a licensed pilot, I'll tell ya that the flight dynamics are incredibly real. You can download the full demo that after 6 minutes shuts the joystick off. Oh yeah, dont try flying without a joystick or gamepad...the keyboard just doesnt cut it...it's impossible.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« got my mini mac today, but need help on one thing | Dual 17 LCDs on a Dual 1.8 G5, sharing with a PC »