New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Help? File Compression not working?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wandah

wandah is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel-based imac.

Hello forum!

(I apologize if I'm not posting in the correct thread!)

When I right-click on a file to compress, I have the options to compress, but not to "archive." So this could be the source of my problem . . .

* After a file is zipped, it's hardly smaller at all. Example, I just compressed a file which was 247.1 MB before and 235.6 MB after.

Any clues to what I need to do to fix this?

Thanks so much in advance.

Wanda
QUOTE Thanks
wandah

Eek, sorry, I guess this is a software problem?? I'm so sorry . . . can't find the delete or move button.

Please, don't hurt me.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Some files are already in a compressed format and therefore will not compress any further. You didn't say which type of files you're trying to compress?

Generally, text files will compress very well while certain graphic or sound files will not. (MP3, JPEG, etc.)

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Zip compression may not compress something very much at all. In fact, zip compression is horrible IMHO.

If you are really looking into saving some space or compress something well, you may want to look into something like gunzip or better yet, bunzip2. You may not notice any difference with either of these but it's worth a shot.

Open up a terminal window (/Application/Utilities/Terminal.app) and type the following to create what is called a "tarred bunzip2 archive":
Code:
tar -cjf name_of_archive.tar.bz2 /directory/here/
Replace name_of_archive with the name of the archive you want to create and replace /directory/here/ with the path to the folder you want to archive. So, for instance, if you want to archive the folder ~/Documents/Work (~ = home directory, it's a shortcut) and wanted to create an archive called work, you would execute the following:
Code:
tar -cjf work.tar.bz2 ~/Documents/Work/
Again, I can't guarantee you will see much of a difference but sometimes the difference can be quite noticeable.

Note: If you are looking to send this to someone using Windows, they will have to install extra software. You, on the other hand, can decompress it simply by double-clicking it as Finder has support for decompression of tarred bunzip2 archives.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks
wandah

Ah! Yes, it's an audio book file (.mp3) that I'm trying to compress. I had no idea that this could be normal.

Thanks for your help!

Wanda
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Issue with Wireless Keyboard | Continuously reboots while holding C or Option »