New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - 9800 gtx+ on a Mac Pro, possible?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RhanJones

RhanJones is on a distinguished road

Hello all, first things first, yes, i'm a newbie, yes, i've registered because i'm going INSANE , and yes, i've searched all over the internet, but haven't had good questions, so here goes !

I have a Mac Pro, 2008 version, and i have a graphics card, a xtx 9800 gtx+, i have bought some cables to give the gc the power it needs, so that's not the problem. However , when i boot up the mac, it doesn't show anything on the display. This is when put in the first pci-e16x port. Same thing when put in the second pci-e16x.

My stock gc, ATI HD2600, does not display anything when put in the second pci-e16x, but that's another thing.

I did read something about using kexts for the 8800, on the 9800 gtx, but i haven't found too much info on that.

So, to conclude ;

Is it possible to use a 9800 gtx+ graphics card in a mac pro?

Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Here is a link to downloading kexts to get your card to work in a Mac Pro:-

9800 GTX working in OSX86 - InsanelyMac Forum

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
SnakeOiler

SnakeOiler is on a distinguished road

I use NVDarwin 1.2.5. Works great.
QUOTE Thanks
RhanJones

RhanJones is on a distinguished road

So i installed NVDarwin 1.2.5, it did work, however, i can't get into the white apple screen, when i hold down for example, option. Is that normal?

I got the vc to work in slot 1, and put the ati one in slot 2. After i re-installed osx , because it gave me the error that i had to install it again ( which i don't get ) , i managed to install the bootcamp windows xp version. ( while still using slot 2 for the graphics.

After i booted up windows, i used the leopard install disc for the drivers, and i downloaded the 9800+ drivers for windows. Installed it, and after that, it gave me another, please restart etc.- error...

So now i'm re-installing mac osx for the 2nd time today , and after that i'm going to try and install windows again...Any tips?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G5 performance problems. | powermac g4 will not start »