New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - G3 DV400 No Display Problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

portnoi

portnoi is on a distinguished road

Hey there,

i just got a iMac G3 DV400 Grape from one of my friends. (M5521 i think)

It had OS 9.2 on it, and i wanted to use it with tiger.

Before installing tiger, I replaced its 10gigs hard drive with a 40gigs hd. I've done this with the guide from Replace the Hard Drive on a G3 iMac (iMac G3 DV)

Anyway, after replacing the hard drive, I turned on the mac, heard the opening sound but... No display. HDD and the other things spin, but that's all.

I immediately put the old drive back on but no change. The situation remains the same.

Fyi, while changing the hdd, I unplugged the powercable.

Any opinions? Right now, the iMac is open. No display, I'm not sure if it's working but the CRT is not, or it's not just the display, also the whole system too. All i can hear is spinning hdd and the other little noises from the system.

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
x slurm x

x slurm x is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Early '08 MacBook 2.4Ghz 250g hd 4g ram Os 10.6; B&W G3 400mhz 120g hd 512mb ram Os 10.4

I've sometimes noticed that when I've changed something inside the my G3, it may not properly boot the first time afterward, so trying a couple of times may help. Also I usually try to remember to reset the pRam if I change anything. This is done by holding command, option, p, and r immediately after turning the machine on. Not that it would be a problem yet, but you may want to check the Tiger system requirements to make sure you have enough ram. I think you can max out the ram on a G3 (1gb) for around 30-40$ on eBay. Just a suggestion.
Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Make shure you pluged every thing in right and that the memory sticks are seatted. When you replace a hard drive you lose the firmwear for the Imac. The boot rom must be 4.1.9 before you install Ten.
QUOTE Thanks
portnoi

portnoi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac SK View Post
Make shure you pluged every thing in right and that the memory sticks are seatted. When you replace a hard drive you lose the firmwear for the Imac. The boot rom must be 4.1.9 before you install Ten.
Hey,

could the losing of firmware cause my problem?

if so, how can i add the 4.1.9 boot rom before installing tiger?

also,

resetting the pRam didn't work.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sound Problem | Apple repair stuck- Imac ati video issue »