G5, 2nd monitor problem
My machine is a dual 2 ghz G5 (circa June 2004). I have a 23 inch cinema display attached as my 2nd monitor.
When the 2nd monitor is plugged in (via dvi to adc adapter, A1006) the computer freezes within minutes.
When not, everything runs perfectly.
The 4 culprits I can imagine are:
1) The xtra strain on a faulty power power center
2) The monitor input is faulty
3) The A1006 adapter is pumping too much juice or doing something else.
4) The cinema display itself is faulty
There is also a correlation with heat, ex. problem is less pronounced in cooler temperatures.
Is this something anyone's heard about??
I seems so strange to me.
Thanks in advance!!
That didn't occur to me, thanks.
Yet, do you think the video card would cause the computer to freeze?
I'm assuming that your G5 has 1 video card with two video ports on it.
If you had a 2nd video card you could test (by hooking up 2 monitors)...but I'm assuming you don't have a 2nd video card.
So you can either:
- work with just 1 monitor
- you could try going to the video card manufacturers website, and see if they have drivers that you could download & reinstall & see if that helps.
- try repairing "permissions". I do this first whenever I have a problem.
- get a 2nd video card...and hook your 2nd monitor up it (two video cards in your G5)
- buy another 2-port video card that hopefully works...and plug both monitors into it
- pay a computer tech. big bucks to figure out the problem
I hope this helps,
thanks Nick, that's really helpful
...I'm off investigating the video card angle
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:34 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.