New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Upgraded 1 gig on mini - pics posted

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

EvoMac

Well as some of you may have read here, I am brand new to mac's... and to get my feet wet I decided to get a 1.4 mac mini (price is right for a test machine). Anyhow I was very happy with the performance of the computer given the price and what it is (I am a IT professional btw), however like how I was with PC's I am always looking for more. So I purchased a 1 gig stick of RAM... with a Heatshield. After looking at others people's pictures / articles I was a little uneasy about fitment since it is a pretty tight space.

Well it fit in perfect and now the performance (for a low end pricepoint) is amazing. The difference between 256 and 1 gig is astronomical. The one application that I use very frequently MS Entourage took 32 seconds to completly load up with 256 ram, with 1 gig... took a little UNDER 7 SECONDS.

For all those first time mac users like myself who questioned apple or the mini in specific, spring the $180 for the 1 gig upgrade and any of your doubts will soon be erased. The only problem now that I have is I was going to build a new PC with high end equip for about 1400 (I have a side IT business so I get parts at wholesale) - now the thoughts of that are gone - and my eyes are set on the watercooled dual 2.5... gonna have to take the fiance out on the town and then pop the question there to get another :mac:

Ok so taking screenshots might be the one unintuitive thing about OS X

Heres what the memory with the heat shield looks like... fits perfectly

I would highly recomend using a plastic putty knife, left no marks on the Mini

A view from the front with the ram on the left hand side
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

I didn't think more ram would help program start-up times, maybe I'll have to get a GB. I need one of those plastic putty knifes too, but it is probably too late already.

I had ram with a heatsink installed in my mac mini, it barely fit. The stick I have in there now has no heatsink, fits a lot better.
QUOTE Thanks
pscl227

pscl227 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini @ 1.5Ghz, 1GB ram, 12.1" ibook 1.33Ghz 1GB ram

next step once you have upgraded the ram is to upgrade the processor ;-) overclock it to 1.58Ghz and use nvedit to set the speed for system tools to read
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

was it difficult to open and close the mini? what about the way the ports stick out in back, howd you take the casing off with them in the way?
QUOTE Thanks
EvoMac

The mini was really easy to open actually. The back actually has nothing to hold it in place, just some metal loops to keep the case aligned. As far as taking it off, I tried following multiple peoples instructions, but pretty much they are way to much work lol. With the putty knife I easily worked it into the left side of the mini (which takes a little bit of time to get it to go in) and you hear a series of snaps (sounds like u broke something) and the whole side comes up. From there you have play with the case and a couple easy wiggles frees both the front and the other side. Very easy process.

As far as startup time, I forgot to mention that I had Firefox, iPhoto, and iTunes opened both times so that would be directly affected by ram.

PSCL do you have any links / walkthrus / your own coments on how to do that? definitly something I would be interested in doing.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by itloser
As far as startup time, I forgot to mention that I had Firefox, iPhoto, and iTunes opened both times so that would be directly affected by ram.
That makes more sense. Try Camino instead of Firefox, you'll like it.

For overclock info, go here:
http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/macmini/

I took mine all the way apart but I wussed out, my soldering skills aren't that great.
QUOTE Thanks
EvoMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
Try Camino instead of Firefox, you'll like it.
Just loaded it, seems much faster, and I like that it looks much more like Safari / Mac layout.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mac -> windows printer problems yet again | how do i reset my mac to factory settings? »