From macbook pro to mac pro
    so i dropped my macbook pro last week and everything is working fine except the case.....so I thought why not turn my macbook pro into a mac pro by buying a mac pro case off ebay. I plan to use the macbok pro's screen in the mac pro buy cutting a hole in the side of the case and somehow attaching the 15" lcd making the case also the monitor. Any thoughts on how I can accomplish this?

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Thoughts? Buy a new case for the MBP on eBay and save yourself lots of work and headaches. Just my opinion of course.

Regards.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ipwnwindows View Post
    so i dropped my macbook pro last week and everything is working fine except the case.....so I thought why not turn my macbook pro into a mac pro by buying a mac pro case off ebay. I plan to use the macbok pro's screen in the mac pro buy cutting a hole in the side of the case and somehow attaching the 15" lcd making the case also the monitor. Any thoughts on how I can accomplish this?
    This sounds like an interesting project...from a uniqueness standpoint...but logically it doesn't make much sense to turn a nice portable computer into a BIG massive desktop computer.

Also, you won't be turning a MacBook Pro into a Mac Pro...You will simply be putting the MacBook Pro "guts" into an a large aluminum case that used to be a Mac Pro.

Another thought...even a dead or "busted" Mac Pro case on E-Bay is still going to be an expensive purchase...and with the Mac Pro case being so big & heavy...it's going to cost a lot to ship it as well!

As someone already mentioned, why not try to buy another MacBook Pro case off E-Bay?

I'm not trying to discourage you from giving this project a try...it sounds like a Unique thing to do.

But MacBook Pro's are still VERY good portable computers (the best laptops Apple currently sells)...so it makes more financial sense to keep it as a laptop.

Just my 2 cents, good luck in any case,

- Nick

i was going for uniqueness as i really have no use for a full on laptop and for the price of a new bottom case i could buy a used mac pro case or a g5 then transfer the guts.

ill probably buy a netbook if apple does make one later this year anyways.

Thread Information