New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Should I get a new mini or a used 17" iMac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tom719co

tom719co is on a distinguished road

I was pretty set to get the new mini, but a friend is offering me:

17" iMac
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo
1GB RAM
160GB HD
SuperDrive
MightyMouse
Tiger/iLife

for $550...

The screen sounds small to me.. And it won't have the NVIDIA chipset or DDR3 RAM...

Things I will use it for:

- VM's to Windows XP and Ubuntu
- Playing open source games like Cube 2 and others that run fine on older hardware
- edit video and photos with iLife

Any comments??

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

Do you already have a monitor/keyboard/mouse? They are going to be similar. Either way I would double the memory for sure. Go take a look at the iMac and see if it is too small. I know it would be for me.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom719co View Post
I was pretty set to get the new mini, but a friend is offering me:

17" iMac
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo
1GB RAM
160GB HD
SuperDrive
MightyMouse
Tiger/iLife

for $550...

The screen sounds small to me.. And it won't have the NVIDIA chipset or DDR3 RAM...
My vote is to skip it...why?:

- screen is too small

For a couple hundred more you can get a used:

- 2.4 ghz, 20" Aluminum iMac, with the better graphics hardware

The Aluminum iMacs are MUCH nicer than the older white plastic!!!

Just my humble opinion,

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
tom719co

tom719co is on a distinguished road

mdfuller:

I already have keyboard/mouse/monitor. I am used to and still have a 19" CRT... But was thinking of getting a 22" LCD from tigerdirect as they are pretty cheap, if I got the Mac mini..

pigoo3:

Thanks for your comments.. Yeah I'm really concerned about the screen being too small.. At work I have a 22" LCD Widescreen and it's perfect..

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

I agree with Nick. Get the Mac Mini and a new big LCD or get an Aluminum iMac (new or used). After thinking about it, I would skip the 17" without a doubt.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom719co View Post
mdfuller:

I already have keyboard/mouse/monitor. I am used to and still have a 19" CRT... But was thinking of getting a 22" LCD from tigerdirect as they are pretty cheap, if I got the Mac mini..

pigoo3:

Thanks for your comments.. Yeah I'm really concerned about the screen being too small.. At work I have a 22" LCD Widescreen and it's perfect..

Thanks!
If it's of any additional value...I normally use a 22" monitor (1600 x 1050 resolution) with my G4 Apple desktop. A while ago I bought a 2.4 ghz Aluminum iMac (20" monitor, 1600 x 1050 resolution).

I got a REALLY good price on it that I couldn't refuse, and thought that I could live with the 20" monitor...but to be honest, I still found the 20" iMac monitor to be too small (so I sold it). So a 17" monitor would be really small...and with the price's of 22" & 24" monitors these days, there's no need to settle for such a small monitor.

As I'm sure you know, with an iMac...you're stuck with the monitor you get with the iMac! Yeah you can hook up a 2nd monitor...but then doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of the "All-In-One" iMac!

Hang on a little longer for an Aluminum iMac with a bigger monitor, or get a newer mac-mini.

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

For what it is worth, remember iMacs and Minis are pretty limited regarding upgrades, particularly relating to graphic cards.

In your position would be looking at a Mac Pro Intel machine as towers are able to be continually upgraded as technology improves, use real sized HDD and graphic cards can be upgraded.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Mini - logic board? | which pro »