New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - help getting g4 a wireless connection (usb adaptor)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wrightm

wrightm is an unknown at this point

Hello,
I have a mac G4 desktop...I think it has built in dial up modem but no built in wireless modem.
I have a PC and recently the only thing we needed to do to get it online was buy a tiny USB plug in wireless dector..plug it in...and instant wireless connection.
It does not work on Mac though.

Is connecting my G4 this easy as well....do I just need to get a mac compatible USB detector? Is this usb detector also the modem....or maybe wireless does not need a modem and just needs to pick up the signal from the other modem/router in the house?

Thanks,
M
QUOTE Thanks
tcbluejayfan

tcbluejayfan is on a distinguished road

So, your looking for a wireless adapter for the mac? I prefer the Airport card, but on most G4's your limited to 802.11b...There are a few usb adapters you can find mac drivers for though. I have a Netgear WG111 v.2 which works great
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

After the Mac Wireless USB Adapters

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

All G4 Towers from the first Yikes model to the FW800 have inbuilt Ethernet ports but none came with wireless as standard and as suggested an Airport card may be the go depending on the modem/router being Mac compatible. Some are not.
QUOTE Thanks
rdpaullin

rdpaullin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Power MAC G4 AGP/Graphics 500Mhz 1GB RAM 250GB Seagate HDD OSX 10.4.11 DVD-Ram

Has anyone used the AfterMac WIFI USB adapter? If so, is it compatible with Belkin or D-Link routers. Or only Airport.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
jktenharmsel

jktenharmsel is on a distinguished road

Best buy sells a usb adapter made for macs. Its a hawking technology adaptor and all you have to do it plug it in and your set to go. The cost it 49.99 when i bought mine a year ago.
QUOTE Thanks
rdpaullin

rdpaullin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Power MAC G4 AGP/Graphics 500Mhz 1GB RAM 250GB Seagate HDD OSX 10.4.11 DVD-Ram

My AGP/Graphics has a preinstalled Airport Card port (like a PCMCIA port).
Well anyway, yesterday I found an Airport Card listed on CL for $20.00 Card only.
So what the hey, it's only $20 and I figured I'd find the drivers on line. Plugged the antena cable in, plugged the card in and to my joy it didn't need drivers. I tried to go on line and a popup came on telling no internet connection was available. And in my own words, ask if I wanted it to find out why. It located the Airport Card, then found my network and the rest is history.

Sooooo, IMHO if it's at all possible go AirPort.

BTW I use a Belkin router

Robin
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« capture card | DVR/CD drive only reading CD not DVD »