New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Favourite iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

knightjp

knightjp is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo w/ 4GB ram running OS X Lion

I was a toddler when the first mac made its appearance; too busy chewing on the bars in my crib to wonder how did Apple manage to create something that would forever change the way we use the computer today.
Ok... lets face it, some of the innovations were taken from Xerox PARC, but who cares. Apples managed to put a entire computer into a package that (at the time) was so user friendly and miles ahead of what anyone else had at the time.

Then came the dark ages of Apple. Thanks to a brilliant mind in Bill Gates, Microsoft managed to take it all away from them. And it wasn't until Jobs' return that Apple decided to go back in time and bring back an icon.
Just like the way the mini cooper was brought back to life... Apple brought back a iconic "all-in-one" and called it the "iMac". A Mac for a whole new generation of user who also needed the internet.

The iconic unveiling:
iMac G3 unveiling

It was the computer that turned Apples fortunes around and after that, Apple was on a role.... creating marvels just as they had in the beginning....
the iBook (clam-shell), etc.... all owed their success to the success of the iMac.

With each passing model, we saw different version come out right down to the latest one.....

I like the iMac G3. It brought a feeling like you were using old Mac. I love the G4, for its flat screen and looks. To me that has to be the best looking of all the models. Up to date, no one can replicate that, and it has turned into an iconic computer of its own.
I'm not too fond of the new ones though. I like them for their power housed in a small thin light-weight package, but as far as iconic looks, the G4 has it and still remains the best ever.

If apple would recreate the looks of the G4 and couple it with features of the new Intel ones (integrated isight cam, etc), they would have an iMac that we all would love to buy.

The question is....
which is your most favourite iMac???

Once You've had Mac, you can't go back.... So very true.
If necessity is the mother of invention, she obviously never met Steve Jobs..
Julz - The Panther
QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

G4, by far. That was just a very secksy Mac.

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Quad i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB HHD - OS X 10.8
MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - OS X 10.6

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks
ADKhikerVW

ADKhikerVW is a jewel in the roughADKhikerVW is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4

I have to agree, and I have owned just about every incarnation of the iMac since the original. I have a new aluminum model, which is great, but whenever I see my G4 (which I will never part with) I just can't help but smile. It's an amazing design, and a timeless design as well. People who are unfamiliar with Macs who come into my home are astonished by it and several would have sworn it was actually a newer model then my aluminum intel iMac. I just wish I could get some modern components in there without ruining the design, so it could live on functionally.
QUOTE Thanks
knightjp

The Intel iMacs have a very sleek aluminium design. They look like normal LCD screens. But the G4, had the most unique shape ever. Some straight out of a sci-fi movie. That shape is more futuristic than the new Intel ones.

Julz - The Panther
QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKhikerVW View Post
I have to agree, and I have owned just about every incarnation of the iMac since the original. I have a new aluminum model, which is great, but whenever I see my G4 (which I will never part with) I just can't help but smile. It's an amazing design, and a timeless design as well. People who are unfamiliar with Macs who come into my home are astonished by it and several would have sworn it was actually a newer model then my aluminum intel iMac. I just wish I could get some modern components in there without ruining the design, so it could live on functionally.
There has to be some way to shoehorn a new Mac Mini into that base.

I know there has to be.

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Quad i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB HHD - OS X 10.8
MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - OS X 10.6

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks
knightjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek McNelly View Post
There has to be some way to shoehorn a new Mac Mini into that base.

I know there has to be.
I recall seeing a video on youtube on someone actually attempting to do that. I guess with the right skills, probably could.

Let me see if I can locate that vid.

Julz - The Panther
QUOTE Thanks
ADKhikerVW

ADKhikerVW is a jewel in the roughADKhikerVW is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4

The mini will fit easily, it's just a matter of having all the ports line up with the case, which can be achieved partly with extensions and hubs. The other major problem is the screen, since the G4 uses custom wiring to fit through the arm supporting the LCD panel, and it isn't compatible with any standard wiring. New wiring could be run through the arm, if it was thin enough, but the arm is virtually impossible to disassemble and then reassemble correctly, it's pretty much a sealed unit. Now if someone could work out a way to adapt the factory wiring to accept a standard DVI or VGA plug, then that would be great, but no one seems to be serious enough about it to try. I personally don't have the knowledge to do this, although I have tried.

Please, someone out there with the know how to work out the wiring for the screen, do it! I have worked out pretty much everything except for that.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

The white intel imacs.
I just think they were the best imacs ever.
QUOTE Thanks
knightjp

The intel macs are great. Just wish the package could have looked as good as the G4

Julz - The Panther
QUOTE Thanks
an4rew

an4rew is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB | 8GB iPod Nano

Aluminium all the way!
QUOTE Thanks
Strimkind

Strimkind is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Lombard 400, 190cs, Wallstreet 233

G4 had the style and my fav of the bunch.

G5 was original as well, intels are all just modified G5 cases.
QUOTE Thanks
knightjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strimkind View Post
G4 had the style and my fav of the bunch.

G5 was original as well, intels are all just modified G5 cases.
G4 had style. And in its day, no one could accuse of it being "Just style over substance". This machine rocked.

Julz - The Panther
QUOTE Thanks
hugtheslug

hugtheslug is a jewel in the roughhugtheslug is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2013 MacBook Air i5 13" / MacBook C2D 2.13GHz / iMac G5 iSight 1.9GHz / iMac G5 1.6 GHz / Pismo G4

Although we have a white Intel iMac which looks great, I definitely go with the G4.
It's even got me looking on ebay for one !

Cheers

Hugh

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Warning - this user has only a little knowledge
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac Display Problem | Quicksilver G4 Processor Question »