New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Mac Pro Mouse Issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

timetoknow

timetoknow is on a distinguished road

Hey guys...was hoping to get some info on a mouse problem that I have been having. I am on an early 08' Mac Pro. Thanks in advance.

A couple of days ago, my mouse started acting up. It becomes unresponsive right after the computer has been sleeping. If I move the mouse, the cursor either stays where it is or jumps to another random spot on the screen. Basically, it is unusable. After a restart the problem goes away, but it has become more and more frequent. The mouse now drops out while I am in the middle of using it. Figuring that I had a problem with my mouse, I tested out two other mouses on the computer. I ran into the same problem. (I restarted before testing both times). I am beginning to think that I have an issue with my computer and not the mouse. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Thanks a lot.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetoknow View Post
Figuring that I had a problem with my mouse, I tested out two other mouses on the computer. I ran into the same problem. (I restarted before testing both times). I am beginning to think that I have an issue with my computer and not the mouse. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Thanks a lot.
Good idea trying multiple mice. Since you have this problem with 3 different mice (I'm assuming corded mice), you could try:

- plugging your corded mice into a different USB port (maybe the USB port your normally use is bad).

- a cordless mouse. If you still have the problem, then it's not the corded mice or the USB port you normally connect your corded mice to. It then could be a software issue.

Hope this helps...please post your results (positive or negative),

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
willwork

willwork is on a distinguished road

I've got the same EXACT problem and it just started happening to me too. Has anyone figured out a solution???
QUOTE Thanks
jray21

jray21 is on a distinguished road

Same problem here. Have a brand new 2009 2.26 8 core mac pro. Mouse started acting up and does not work. Had both a wireless mac keyboard and wireless mighty mouse. Usb keyboard works, but usb mighty mouse does not work when plugged into the computer. However, I finally found a solution, though it is temporary. If I plug my Usb mouse into the usb port on the keyboard, it works. It seems really weird that the usb mouse will not work when plugged directly into the computer, but will work when plugged into the usb keyboard which is then plugged into the computer. Also, when looking at the system information, there is no information on bluetooth, and it does not work, or show up, anywhere. It seems that there is a problem in the OS (still very rare) that is messing up the bluetooth and mouse. All other items plugged in by usb are fine, it's just bluetooth and any mouse that seems to have problems. Good luck, usually Mac is pretty good at fixing things like this and getting an update out.
QUOTE Thanks
willwork

willwork is on a distinguished road

Spoke to Mac Tech Support - they suggested to not let the computer go to sleep - this works, but it's not a very good solution
QUOTE Thanks
Prophecies

Prophecies is on a distinguished road

Now this may sound foolish, but if it is a wireless mouse, have you tried changing the batteries? A nice set of fresh batteries can make all the difference.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Possible dead HD on imac | Value of my used iMac »