New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Did you open your mac mini? Did you scratch is up a bit?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

When I opened mine I used a putty knife, which is what another site said to use, I scraped up the bottom of my mac mini a bit, no big deal since you can't see it. Is it even possible to open it without scratching it a little?
QUOTE Thanks
osxuser

it probably is. I've heard they gonna make a 'mac opener' or something like that soon. It's like some sort of plastic knife to open mac mini.
QUOTE Thanks
pscl227

pscl227 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini @ 1.5Ghz, 1GB ram, 12.1" ibook 1.33Ghz 1GB ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxuser
it probably is. I've heard they gonna make a 'mac opener' or something like that soon. It's like some sort of plastic knife to open mac mini.
the mac mini service guide says to use a putty knife that has been sharpened to using sandpaper which is what i did and it worked a treat not a single scratch any of the 6 times i have opened it!
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

I didn't scratch it bad the first time I opened it, but when I put the case back on it didn't line up right and I quickly tried to get the case off to fix it, that is when I scratched it to where it was noticeable.
QUOTE Thanks
appsman

If you flip over the minis they have on display at the Palo Alto Mac Store, all are mangled a bit at the edges where the putty knife is supposed to go in. Maybe they were in a hurry, or it's just not as easy as it sounds to do a clean job.
QUOTE Thanks
VakeJ

VakeJ is on a distinguished road

I've opened my mini acouple times, and I have not scratched it at all. I inserted one edge of the blade, and slowly slide the other end of the blade down (like a see-saw fashion). Repeat this with the the putty knife, spread them apart, BAM!! No scratches. The first time is the hardest. Afterwards, it comes off much easier...

I think the difficult part, is putting the cover back on. You have to make sure everything is perfectly lined-up on the back panel.

VJ
QUOTE Thanks
EvoMac

I just took mine off, taking off was np with a plastic putty knife however I misaligned it the first time. I found the secret is line up the back (with the ports) first and then the 2 sides catch. From there you just snap the rest back in. At least that worked for me my .02
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

I'm waiting for someone to coat the handle of a putty knife in white plastic, mark the price up 5x and call it an iOpener
QUOTE Thanks
NineInchWorms

any one got any pics of the inside of their mini? I haven't seen what this babys brain looks like yet.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

http://www.macworld.com/2005/03/feat...mini/index.php

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

http://home.comcast.net/~mlmug_sam/2..._Mac_Mini.html
QUOTE Thanks
iDVFH.

Lol, wasn't this thread like dead for the past couple of weeks? could have been a month! lol
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

My mini pictures, some are with the case off.
QUOTE Thanks
Danster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
My mini pictures, some are with the case off.
A nice set of well put together pictures. :p

What does the RAM-Sink do?
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danster
What does the RAM-Sink do?
The thing in that picture is really more of a ram heat-spreader. They are supposed to dissapate head but really I think people just buy them because they look neat, I got mine for free.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« is the optical drive easily upgradable? | Thinking of buying a power mac. »