New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Seeking G4 Sawtooth upgrade help/advise

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

eddie21a

eddie21a is on a distinguished road

I'm upgrading an old MacG4 and looking for some advise. I purchased a NewerTech 7448 CPU upgrade (2.0GHz). Physically installed fine, but now screen (and I'm assuming the CPU) freezes after a few minutes. Re-installed with no change in behavior. Board was flashed to latest BIOS while in OS 9 as instructed. CPU also exhibited this freeze in OS 10.4 and new 10.5. Set the CPU speed down to 1.4GHz which remained stable enough to load OS 10.5. But it even froze at that speed after a couple of hours. I've tried flashing the NVRAM with no success in changing the behavior. I did return to manufacturer for defect testing. Tested OK and they suggested power supply issue so I purchased a used, larger PS. I'm assuming this is a hardware issue as the original CPU works fine when I re-install it. Has anyone had experience with this upgrade or issue?...Thanks

Machine Specs:
Mac sawtooth AGP G4 (originally 350MHz model, 100 MHz bus)
Upgraded to 1GHz RAM
Upgraded PS from original 208W to used 237W
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G4 Mac Mini minijack Toslink digital optical out? | Display problem when disconnecting iMac from TV »