New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

My iMac just STOPPED reading CD/DVDs ... !!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jackzane_7

My iMac just STOPPED reading CD/DVDs. And I am supposed to be selling it
today. What can I do?? Somebody please help me - I haven't even used it
that much :mad:
QUOTE Thanks
jackzane_7

It's a G4 800mhz with a superdrive
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackzane_7
What can I do??
1) Take it to your nearest Apple repair place and get a quote from them.

2) Run the hardware test to make sure it really is the drive itself, locate the same model on the www and get one on order, then replace it yourself.

You can get the model number from "About this Mac", also check out the Apple technical site for any known issues.

This site might be useful:

http://www.welovemacs.com/imacemacdrives.html

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

I have a 1Ghz S/D iMac which is probably around the same age as yours, the model number specfied is the DVD RW DW-U10A. Advertised here for $95 but you probably will need to hunt around a bit as they are a discontinued model:

http://www.ascendtech.us/itemdesc.asp?ic=DVDRSNYU10A

I've had my iMac apart to replace the infernal RAM (no that wasn't a spelling mistake) and as long as you use some good quality heat sink compound when putting it back to gether you shouldn't have a problems with it (where to put the compound is pretty obvious when you have it apart).

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
jackzane_7

Thanks Moses.

Looks like I've permanently damaged my mac, by simply putting a blank DVD-R into it!

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86130

PLEASE INFORM ANYONE THAT HAS THE FIRST LINE OF FLAT SCREEN G4s that they should get the superdrive update from the apple website, otherwise they could very easily ruin their apple mac. And screw up the rest of their lives ...
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackzane_7
Thanks Moses.

Looks like I've permanently damaged my mac, by simply putting a blank DVD-R into it!

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86130

PLEASE INFORM ANYONE THAT HAS THE FIRST LINE OF FLAT SCREEN G4s that they should get the superdrive update from the apple website, otherwise they could very easily ruin their apple mac. And screw up the rest of their lives ...
So from that I take it you have the early Pioneer drive? You did check didn't you?

Have you also checked to see if the firmware update definitely hasn't been applied to your machine?

I doubt very much if you have damaged the drive by putting high speed media in it, when a company say there is a potential risk of hardware damage they are just covering themselves, it is very unusual for a drive to suffer actual damage.

What is far more likely is that your disc has just died of old age, DVD drives do not live very long, I've had to replace my PC's drive 3 times already in 5 years and have had two PS drives die on me.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« can i boot a disc in single user mode? | G5 online user group meeting tonight! 2/11/05 »