New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Question about the Mac Mini fan??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

VakeJ

VakeJ is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I have the 1.42 mac mini, which I upgraded to 1gig memory. I would say everything has been flawless with this machine for the last 2 weeks, except for the fan. I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not...

Normally the machine is very quiet. Depending on the number of applications running the fan will start to spin fast for a 1-2 minutes. Tonight I had one web browser open, and the fan started to spin very quickly. After 10 minutes the fan was still spinning at full throttle! I restarted the system, and it was back to normal (could barely hear the system).

Is this something I should be concerned with? Is it worth bringing it back to the Apple store for them to have look at?

Your input would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Vake J.
QUOTE Thanks
forbin

Can't answer your question, but my new iMac does the same thing .. Mostly whisper quiet, but sometimes, it sounds like the turbo in my car ;-)
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Shortly after the PowerMac G5s came out they issued a firmware fix to the fan activating software, it's possible some similar mistake has been made with the iMac and Mini (I doubt there are many different sets of fan firmware knocking around), probably worth getting in touch with tech support by email or something.

I've noticed my Mini doing this for a few seconds after some particulary intensive disk activity (i.e I did a dump of 2500+ tracks from my iPod to my Mini and about half way through the fan started up), 2.5 inch HDs can create quite a bit of heat!

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mr. Freeze | imac g5 »