New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - G5 trouble

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mac73

mac73 is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone. I'm new here so please bare with me. I have an original imac G5 and it won't power on all the time. At first I thought it was the screen but yesterday I was able to power it on with no problem and the screen looked fine. Today, however, is a different story. It went back to not booting up all the way. I get to the grey apple logo screen with the spinning wheel and the whell freezes and it's different colors(the spinning wheel). Maybe logic board? I have no clue! Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
thomasthetug

thomasthetug is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac g5 (late '05) 17", 1.8ghz, 1.5gb, 250gb, combo.

Hi, It could be a logic board problem, but also could sound like a hard drive problem, does it always boot at least to a grey screen?

Macrumors = Devil
QUOTE Thanks
mac73

sometimes it boots all the way. Yesterday i was even able to do a few updates. Today, nothing past the grey screen.
QUOTE Thanks
milessthomas

milessthomas is a jewel in the roughmilessthomas is a jewel in the roughmilessthomas is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3

Sounds like a failing hard drive. Take it to an apple store and see if they can run a disk warrior hard disk check for you, they usually can do this fairly quick. Make an appointment online for the mac genius bar at your local store before going.

Newegg is where I got my replacement. Diskwarrior's check failed at the apple store and the genius bar associate told me the hard disk was unreadable.

Make sure to make a complete backup of your data the next time you can get on the computer.

QUOTE Thanks
mac73

Thanks a lot for your help. I'll make an appointment ASAP.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G4 MDD rear HD bay lever "stuck" | New iMac Screen failures.... »