New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mr. Freeze

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GotMac?

I recently bought a powermac G4, it is a 400mhz agp graphics model, i upgraded it to 768ram from 256. it has a 10gb hdd that OSX is on, and a 80gb hdd for just extra crap, everything has been fine, but now for no reason it freezes out of no-where. and it is not always the same, sometimes i will be using it for like 2 hours then it will lock up, and sometimes it will lock up as soon as it turns on and i try to open a program from the dock.

As of right now, all i am using it for is web surfing, chatting and storing some photos, not like i am trying to run final cut and combustion at the same time, lol.

Anyone have any ideas as to what might be making these lock ups happen?
QUOTE Thanks
bassplayrr

bassplayrr will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMac?
I recently bought a powermac G4, it is a 400mhz agp graphics model, i upgraded it to 768ram from 256. it has a 10gb hdd that OSX is on, and a 80gb hdd for just extra crap, everything has been fine, but now for no reason it freezes out of no-where. and it is not always the same, sometimes i will be using it for like 2 hours then it will lock up, and sometimes it will lock up as soon as it turns on and i try to open a program from the dock.

As of right now, all i am using it for is web surfing, chatting and storing some photos, not like i am trying to run final cut and combustion at the same time, lol.

Anyone have any ideas as to what might be making these lock ups happen?
I've not had this problem with a Mac yet (as I've only been using Macs for about a week and a half) but I have had that problem on some of my self built PCs in the past. My guess is that it is your newly added RAM. Bad RAM, or RAM that your Mac just may be picky with will often cause that 'lock-up' problem. Try removing the new RAM for a few days and see if it continues to lock-up. My guess is that it won't. If it doesn't, you know you need to find a different kind of replacement RAM. Godd luck.

-Chris
QUOTE Thanks
GotMac?

Thats what i was thinking, but the specs of the ram match the mac, 256 sdram 100mhz, but it might be bad i guess, was taken out of a working machine, but u never know, i will test that out and let you know if that was the case.
QUOTE Thanks
GotMac?

ok well i took out all the ram, except for what it came with, and still no change, as soon as my cursor hits the dock now it freezes, could it be the HDD going bad? or if it is trying to pull info from a bad sector, i dunno whats going on, but it keeps making me go back to use my pc when i don't want to.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Have you tried repair permissions? (finder > apps > Util > Disk U > choose volume> Mac HD>repair permission)
QUOTE Thanks
bassplayrr

bassplayrr will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMac?
ok well i took out all the ram, except for what it came with, and still no change, as soon as my cursor hits the dock now it freezes, could it be the HDD going bad? or if it is trying to pull info from a bad sector, i dunno whats going on, but it keeps making me go back to use my pc when i don't want to.
Now I'm stumped. I guess it's a good I thing I didn't bet money it was the RAM. Every HDD I have ever had go bad on me has made a clicking sound, but I supposed that doesn't have to be the case for it to be bad. If you suspect other hardware run the 'Apple Hardware Test) on the 'Aditional Software and Apple Hardware Test' CD that came with your computer. Insert the disk and restart while holding the C botton on your when the apple emblem appears.

-Chris
QUOTE Thanks
GotMac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
Have you tried repair permissions? (finder > apps > Util > Disk U > choose volume> Mac HD>repair permission)
Tried that already ^^ thanks for the shot though, and for ^ i bought it used from someone on ebay, i did not get any discs, and the disc set i have from my iBook does not have that disc your talking about.

the only reason i think it is the hdd is cause on a older Pc i had, i remember i had hit it once, and ever since then the Hdd that was in it would lock up sometimes, or give me trouble, so maybe being shipped it could have messed something up, i am not sure... You think it would cost alot to have a apple store check it out?
QUOTE Thanks
GotMac?

Alright, it is happening most when i have a window open, and move the pointer over to the dock to open something else, or when i try amd move the window, i can not figure this out.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Did you try the new RAM in place of the Old? In other words take out the origional RAM and try one of the new sticks? Maybe the old ram has a problem. If it's not that I wonder if something in OSX is messed up. I have never had problems but that does not mean it can never happen. Do you have the OSX Install CD or did the used G4 just come with OSX installed and no CD?
QUOTE Thanks
GotMac?

It had OSX on it when it came, but it also had someone else's name on it, so i already reinstalled OSX , but i will try that, put in all the other ram, and take out the original that came with it. i'll keep you informed
QUOTE Thanks
GotMac?

Well fellas, i figured it out. it was OSX, i guess when i reinstalled it and updated it, my G4 did not like the updates. i erased, reinstalled again and did NOT update, and now it is running fine, *Knock on wood* only wierd thing is when i put photos into iPhoto they do not show up, but i can live with that as long as it is not freezing. thanks for all your tips and suggestions while i was trying to figure this out.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Connecting two VGA (non Mac) LCD's to a G5 DP? | Question about the Mac Mini fan?? »