New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac 350 Slot Load Modem Problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DakRoland

DakRoland is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 1.83Ghz Core Duo, 120Gb HD, 2Gb Ram, OS 10.4.11/PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8Ghz, 1.5Gb RAM, 500Gb HD

I'm working on an iMac 350 Slot load model, running OS 9.2.2 and the latest firmware update. The iMac will only connect at 14.4 and I can't get the modem to connect faster. I've tried turning off Apple Talk, changing the modem selected in the modem configuration to the Farallon 56k and back to the Apple Internal 56k modem, but to no avail. I can't think of anything else to do to this machine. It simply refuses to connect any faster than 14.4, and our tech bench phone line is clean and clear, no problems. Any other computer or Mac we hook to it connects at an avg 49k. Are there any scripts I can download to try on this Mac that may help? Any suggestions to help it connect better?

Home to the Trading Card Archive, Movie Sticker Archive, The Workbench and More!

The very existance of the flamethrower proves that somewhere, at some time, someone thought, "You know, I'd really like to light those people over there on fire... but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
QUOTE Thanks
DakRoland

Mac Specs: MacBook 1.83Ghz Core Duo, 120Gb HD, 2Gb Ram, OS 10.4.11/PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8Ghz, 1.5Gb RAM, 500Gb HD

Would replacing the modem solve this problem? I see there are some on ebay selling around $15 apiece. I was wondering if this would actually fix the problem, or if it's just a lateral exhange, swapping one modem that connects only at 14.4 with another that will only connect at 14.4...

Home to the Trading Card Archive, Movie Sticker Archive, The Workbench and More!

The very existance of the flamethrower proves that somewhere, at some time, someone thought, "You know, I'd really like to light those people over there on fire... but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
QUOTE Thanks
JeremyM

I have a solution...Get broadband.

No, really, do it.

There is a setting you can set in the Modems Control Panel. I believe it's called 'Connect speed'. If not there, check in your dial up application. Maybe it's set to only connect at 14.4
QUOTE Thanks
DakRoland

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyM
I have a solution...Get broadband.

No, really, do it.
This is not my iMac, it is a customer's and they live in an area where broadband is not available.

Quote:
There is a setting you can set in the Modems Control Panel. I believe it's called 'Connect speed'. If not there, check in your dial up application. Maybe it's set to only connect at 14.4
There is no such setting in the Modems Control panel. You can only select what type of modem you have, select Pulse or Tone dial, and can check mark an option box to have it ignore dial tone.

And I am using Remote access, which is part of Mac OS 9.2.2. There is not "dial up application" being used here.

QUOTE Thanks
Badger

The modem is built into the main board; the only way to change it is to use a USB external model. There was a special extension that was issued by Apple to resolve some modem issues, you can get it from the Apple download site. Remote Access is designed to allow you to connect to your mac from another mac. I would reconfigure to dial up. As I remember the remote access protocol is much slower than dial up, so this may be the problem.
QUOTE Thanks
DakRoland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger
The modem is built into the main board; the only way to change it is to use a USB external model.
It is not built into the main board. The modem is actually a separate non-standard card that is mounted on the mainboard, but can be replaced. I have checked this and visually verified it. I did so before I even started looking on ebay just to be sure.

A USB modem is not an option yet, but I will keep it in mind.

Quote:
There was a special extension that was issued by Apple to resolve some modem issues, you can get it from the Apple download site.
I will search for this and try it in the morning. Thank you.

Quote:
Remote Access is designed to allow you to connect to your mac from another mac. I would reconfigure to dial up. As I remember the remote access protocol is much slower than dial up, so this may be the problem.
Remote access does not do this. It's for dialing up to ISPs and other remote systems. To connect to another Mac, you use Chooser. Again, these are all things I've been using these past couple of days. Remote Access is not a protocol, in OS 9 it is a Control Panel option that configures the computer to dial into an ISP. It *IS* the dialup in the older Macs.

QUOTE Thanks
DakRoland

I decided to try ordering a replacement modem for the iMac. A USB modem would cost the customer about $75 and add more equipment to their desktop they really didn't need to have. Plus, the replacement modems were pretty inexpensive. I finally got the replacement in yesterday and today went about disassembling the iMac and installing it. It worked like a charm. The very first time it connected, it connected at 45.3K. Each time after that was a consistent 43.3K-45.3K with a solid throughput of 4kbps-5kbps. It was certainly a trip taking the old iMac apart, but it was fun. If you ever need to do one of these replacements, I advise patience, as there were about 12 or 14 screws holding the powerboard and mainboard in place. Modems for these older iMacs can be had on Ebay for around $15-$25.

If anyone wants a step-by-step on how I took apart the iMac and replaced the Modem, just ask.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Adding Airport Express to the mini? | imac g5 »