New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - g4 firmware password problems & more! :(

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wesxohio

wesxohio is on a distinguished road

So, I bought a iMac usb 2.0 the other day (with leopard installed) for $200 bucks at a local computer store. I got it and was about to attempt to install ubuntu on it using my external hard drive. I went into the one startup utility and wondered what network startup was, i clicked it, restarted and now i'm in a pickle!

I can't get around network startup at all and apparently there is a firmware password that I had no clue was on the computer. Reading up about it (and trying it myself) I am pretty much rendered useless.

Things I have tried:
1. Clearing pram w/ Command-Option-P-R(didn't chime)
2. Resetting startup disk by pressing X(nothing happened)
3. Letting it sit on the network startup page hoping it would move passed it(nothing happened)
4. Changing out ram and pressing the pmu button hoping it would zap pram(No go)
5. Using the Option button to go into the startup disk selector(need the firmware password)

and I don't have a leopard disk but the cd tray won't open with holding down the mouse button either.

any suggestions on what i should try next? I'm new to mac and stumped
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

Take it back and demand the Leopard disk. The machine should not have been sold with the OS installed without the discs. Otherwise you are going to have to buy your own Leopard disc which is essential for maintenance problems and clean installs, which you may well be up for.
QUOTE Thanks
wesxohio

wesxohio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Take it back and demand the Leopard disk. The machine should not have been sold with the OS installed without the discs. Otherwise you are going to have to buy your own Leopard disc which is essential for maintenance problems and clean installs, which you may well be up for.
I was going to do this today but the tray isn't opening. is there a way to manually open the cd drive? I know with most there is a hole to put a pin in to eject the cd but i can't find one on the imac
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G4 Quicksilver Problem: Hard Drives Won't Show Up. | Wondering if there's any hope.... »