New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - My G5 is on the way

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

plodkiller

plodkiller is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: saving for a macbook pro

I have just bought a G5 off e-bay. It is the 1.6ghz model with 1.25 gig of ram, 80 gig hard drive and superdrive. I do have a couple of questions....

It says that you should use DDR 333 but I have a couple of half gig sticks of DDR 400. I think they are backwards compatible but will they work?

I plan on adding another hard drive but see you need special screws to mount it. I doubt these will be included. Does anyone have any of these spare lying about?

It has tiger installed with ILife. I did plan on installing Leopard, would this still run well?

Thx in advance

Plod
QUOTE Thanks
Viizei

Viizei is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15,4" (unibody) 2.4GHz, 4GB & Cinema HD 23" & iPhone 3G 16GB

Memory that is compatible with your G5 is PC2700 333. So i guess that your 400 doesn't work. And of course Leopard would run well and will run well.

Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.

- Steve Jobs
QUOTE Thanks
martyp

martyp is a jewel in the roughmartyp is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Retina, iPhone 6 128Gb, iPad Air 2 128Gb, NEC PA322UHD

On a normal desktop PC, yes, the memory would work. I can't guarantee that for a Mac though, but memory is pretty cheap from Crucial so you could pick up a couple of gig from them - just remember it must be installed in pairs.

The screws for adding an additional hard drive are inside the case, I really can't see the last owner taking them out. They are on the right of the HDD cage at the top of the case.

As Viizei says, Leopard will run fine on the Mac. Ofcourse the more memory the better. My dual 2.7 G5 has 2.5Gb and it seems to run fast enough, however sitting with just mail, safari and iTunes open I only have 1Gb of RAM free so the more the better as always.

Hope that helps and congrats on your purchase.
QUOTE Thanks
Viizei

Viizei is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15,4" (unibody) 2.4GHz, 4GB & Cinema HD 23" & iPhone 3G 16GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
however sitting with just mail, safari and iTunes open I only have 1Gb of RAM free so the more the better as always.
Off topic sorry: OS X uses as much as possible of memory available am I right? It doesn't leave memory free so much. So the more you have RAM.. the faster your Mac is.

Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.

- Steve Jobs
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Internal Lightscribe on Mac Pro for about 30 bucks. | External Sound Card »