New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

imac G4 CPU Upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Venice

Hello there. I have an imac flat pannel G4 800mhz and I've decided that, with the release of World of Warcraft, I either need to update my Mac or buy a new one (it'll be difficult to get my parents to agree to the latter >_< so that I can play a game). I was wondering, is there anyway I can upgrade the CPU of my imac? I've been looking around and all I can seem to find are PowerMac upgrades, but none for G4 imacs. Thanks for any help you can offer, it's much appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Well, that's because there are no CPU upgrades for the flat panel iMac...
The CPU is soldered on the logic board, so there's no way to upgrade it.

If gaming is so important for you, you shouldn't have bought a Mac, game support for Mac just simply sucks...
QUOTE Thanks
Venice

You know, I vaguley remember reading something about that when we bought it. I never play PC games btw, but WOW caught my interest. Well, guess it's back to the drawing board. I need to figure out a way to get my parents to buy a new computer....hmmm...anyway, thanks for your help, you've saved me much angst (and I can finally go to bed).
QUOTE Thanks
harlock59

harlock59 is on a distinguished road

i'm sorry to go for a necro posting but i 'd like to know why soldered cpu's can't be unsoldered and updated ?

iMac G4 flat panel
leopard 10.5.8
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlock59 View Post
i'm sorry to go for a necro posting but i 'd like to know why soldered cpu's can't be unsoldered and updated ?
Normally my "knee-jerk" reply usually is to say no...but I don't like to think anything is impossible. But in 99.9999999% of the situations...no...a soldered cpu cannot be unsoldered & upgraded.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

Because you need robotic precision and minute amounts of solder to to put the CPU onto the logic board. No person has that skill do remove and replace without damaging surrounding components.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Because you need robotic precision and minute amounts of solder to to put the CPU onto the logic board.
Modern multi-layer circuit boards really aren't even soldered per se. They're "dipped" in a hot solder bath done by a robot. What member "Stretch" says is true because there is no way you and I could do the same thing even if we had the right equipment.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Here's about a 10 minute video on how motherboards/logic boards are made:

How to make a Motherboard - A GIGABYTE Factory Tour Video - YouTube

In regards to the soldering process...(to simplify things) it's kind of a 3 step process:

1. The bottom side of the board is "smeared" with a layer of solder-paste.
2. Most of the small integrated circuits, cpu, gpu are placed on the board.
3. The motherboard then goes thru a "Reflow Oven" where the board goes thru a "reflow-soldering" process.

Reflow soldering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nothing is hand-soldered! Everything is just too small & too tightly packed for it to be even remotely possible for someone to desolder & solder components.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« i've accidentally spited water into the Aluminium Keyboard | G4 Silver Door Power Mac Won't Sleep »