New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Has anyone else thought of this too.....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kutless217

Kutless217 is on a distinguished road

i was just wondering if anyone else had the idea i had. Becuase of how small it is i thought it would be the ideal computer to install into a car. My brother just got an Acura Tl and is planning on installing an xbox into it which gave me this idea. the only thing that would be the downside of doing this is the internet. i guess u could us the bluetooth in the mini to connect to the internet via a bluetooth phone but that gets rather expensive. yep thats pretty much all i was thinking and wanted to see what you guys thought about it.
QUOTE Thanks
vtupser

What if satelite radio like XM or Sirius offered internet in some way through their transmissions. Then I could definitely see a comuter in the car being worth while.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

If you have a wireless card whenever you stop by starbucks, mcdonalds, outside your house you could get on the net There was another thread about this with a guy that is actually doing it and he's going to provide us with pictures once it's done.
QUOTE Thanks
Kutless217

its cool that someone is actually doing this....if i had $700 and a car with LCDs then i would try it lol i really would like to see pics do u happen to know of the original thread
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

i really dont understand the whole in car entertainment thing....do people actually sit and play videogames in their trunk or in the back seat?? or when will people use this computer (other than using it as an mp3 player....and if they do that they should just use an ipod)

i just dont get it
-chris
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutless217
i was just wondering if anyone else had the idea i had. Becuase of how small it is i thought it would be the ideal computer to install into a car. My brother just got an Acura Tl and is planning on installing an xbox into it which gave me this idea. the only thing that would be the downside of doing this is the internet. i guess u could us the bluetooth in the mini to connect to the internet via a bluetooth phone but that gets rather expensive. yep thats pretty much all i was thinking and wanted to see what you guys thought about it.
Not only thought about it but already done it, when my Mini arrives it will be replacing the PC in my car. The only remaining issue I have is the GPS software, after that it will function just about the same as th ePC only faster and smaller.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach_z
i really dont understand the whole in car entertainment thing....do people actually sit and play videogames in their trunk or in the back seat?? or when will people use this computer (other than using it as an mp3 player....and if they do that they should just use an ipod)

i just dont get it
-chris
GPS navigation/verrry big jukebox/DVD for the passengers/Games for the passengers. Some really mad techy types have even wired up their engine management systems to a PC so they can monitor their "ride".

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
Kutless217

yeah my bro wants to hook up my powerbook to his camaro to make live changes to the car's computer and he knows that he can't use his laptop to do it cuz if it crashed his engine would go to **** lol
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

shaun89 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutless217
yeah my bro wants to hook up my powerbook to his camaro to make live changes to the car's computer and he knows that he can't use his laptop to do it cuz if it crashed his engine would go to **** lol
Are you saying he would monitor/control the car with the laptop?

Can't you get sattalite internet? Because one of my dads friends has it... But he lives on the other side of the world... I'd image ine it would work in a car, but it might be expensive.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun89
Are you saying he would monitor/control the car with the laptop?
NASCAR and NHRA having been using laptops to tune and configure there engine for years.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
blackscooby

The benefits of mappable ECU's :cool:

Admittedly on a Windoze machine !
QUOTE Thanks
Desolate One

When I had the UTEC in my scooby I made changes on the fly. Yes rman is correct, people have been tuning engines for years with computers. And it's no wonder since the modern engine is a marvel of technology these days.
QUOTE Thanks
dan828

dan828 is a jewel in the roughdan828 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPad 32 GB 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach_z

i just dont get it
-chris
KIDS!

My sister's minivan has a DVD entertainment system that also has input jacks for external video. My niece and nephew on long trips can watch movies or play with their XBOX. Instead of getting an "are we there yet" every five minutes they put on the wireless headphones and enjoy themselves. Having gone on a 12 hour trip with my sister and her kids, I can tell you that the thing was a godsend.

Adults listening to music up front, kids watching videos and XBOXing in the back.
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

shaun89 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackscooby
The benefits of mappable ECU's :cool:

Admittedly on a Windoze machine !
Cool. Ive never seen that before.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Powermac G3 B/W - Logic Board upgrade? | Still too Early to Tell, But... »