New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - HELP - Need a DVD drive urgently!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TypeMac

TypeMac is on a distinguished road

I've got the early 24" intel iMac (white one) and the disc drive has packed up. The model is a DVR-K06, but everywhere seems not to stock it anymore. It's been discontinued...

Does anyone know where I can get hold of one (I'm in the UK), or if there is a new model that is compatible?

Your help would be very much appreciated...

Chris
QUOTE Thanks
ErikJenkins1187

ErikJenkins1187 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac

Find the latest Performance Upgrades, Firewire and USB Hard Drives, SATA, Memory, Laptop Battery, and more at OWC
QUOTE Thanks
TypeMac

Thanks, but it appears they are in the US. I was after a UK retailer.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeMac View Post
Thanks, but it appears they are in the US. I was after a UK retailer.
Pioneer brand - look here to see if there's something Pioneer UK: PC & Pro: Blu-ray Writers and Drives, DVD/CD Writers and Drivers, Pro DVD Player, KURO Projector, TAD Speakers - Pioneer - PC & Pro The KO5 was a very popular (but discontinued) drive, maybe you can find a second-hand one.

I would suggest that you go external rather than open up your iMac. Slimline optical drives are not exactly numerous unless you get one made for a laptop. You needn't buy an enclosure, meantime anyway, but you will need an adaptor (see att). A firewire connection will give you faster i/o, but not a lot.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Adaptor.pdf (79.9 KB, 0 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I second the external drive recommendation.

The white intel iMacs are apparently a pain to open up and the external drive will probably be faster anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Agree and further the full size external unit will not only be faster but should, in theory, last longer also. Recommend Pioneer DL burners.
QUOTE Thanks
TypeMac

Thanks for the replies.

I've heard they are tricky to open too. One question about going down the external drive option, would I have a problem starting up off a disc, should something go horribly wrong one day..?

Also is it a problem that there is a disc stuck in my internal drive?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice

Quote:
would I have a problem starting up off a disc, should something go horribly wrong one day..?
Also is it a problem that there is a disc stuck in my internal drive?
Q1. No problem, you'll have either the Firewire (better) or USB2 boot option. For f/w though you'll need an external enclosure - and be sure to get one with an Oxford chipset if you possibly can.
Q2. Umm, yes, sort-of. Every time you boot your iMac, it'll try to get the KO6 going again. Incidentally, could it be that the drive is in fact not broken, but that the stuck disk is causing the problem? If you feel confident about opening up your iMac to get at the optical drive, let us know and we can refer you to several links that'll help you.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

For starters have a look at this link - some of the tips may help as it sounds like media problems:-

PowerPC-based Macintosh: How to eject a disc when other options don't work

I know you have an Intel but something may work. Also check out this link particularly the links to Apple items concerning the thickness of media and problems with too thick and too thin. Hopefully your optical drive may be saveable:-

discs getting stuck in new intel imac - Mac - Apple
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

For discs stuck in optical drives, I always recommend the "thin object with double-sided sticky tape" method.
QUOTE Thanks
Smartz

Smartz is on a distinguished road

Hi Everyone

I'd just pipe in and say why go external? You can get really good deals in the UK on internal drives. When my old 17inch Imac's DVD drive went it was pretty straightforward to replace.

I put in the same model as currently used in the latest 24inch aluminum Imacs and found the performance to be great.

I guess for me the overall aesthetic is important. But i considered a external drive myself but wanted to avoid unnecessary desk clutter. The 24inch machines are also the easiest in terms of internal space so it's easy to get straight onto the drive to replace.

if you're interested let me know and I could recommend a supplier/even do the work.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

Hi Smartz - yes, please do post your source of internal optical drives for an Intel iMac. There are forum users out there who are keen to use internal rather than external for the same sorts of reasons you mention.

For example, the Pioneer KO6 is no longer in production, the KO8 is largely unavailable, and there is uncertainty about it being tray or slot load (different sites are unclear) anyway. Sony and Mat****a will be cashing in on that, and good luck to them, but if pressed I would almost inevitably recommend Pioneer.
[Goes away muttering, to put his brand new Pioneer 115D in a LaCie firewire enclosure.]
QUOTE Thanks
TypeMac

Right I've gone ahead and purchased a External DVD±R, My problem at the moment is the internal drive is making an irritating noise continuously... every 2/3 seconds it tries to read the disc.

Is there any way I can turn off the drive, with physically unplugging it?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

Quote:
the internal drive is making an irritating noise continuously... every 2/3 seconds it tries to read the disc. Is there any way I can turn off the drive, with physically unplugging it?
Yes, but you're going to have to open up your iMac to do so. You know where it's located, you have to separate the two sections of your iMac casing to get at it. Here's a helpful link Intel imac core duo 20 inch

There are also videos on YouTube, eg. YouTube - iMac Disassembly Part 1
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« When the "Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor" will come for iMacs 20-inch / 24-inch ? | iMac display problems »