New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - G5 Processor upgrade - true that you cannot?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Terry1121

Terry1121 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac OS X Leopard, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac, 2GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I understand that I cannot upgrade my processor speed no matter what on my iMac 1.8 GHz processor. Is that really true? It seems hard to believe that I have to pony up for an entirely new system when all I really need is more speed. Well, more than 2GB of RAM would help, too, and I understand that I cannot upgrade that, either.

Am I really stuck buying an entirely new computer for a little more speed and memory? Is this Apple's Achilles Heel? Don;t get me wrong, I love my Mac over my Windows infested PC, but at least I could upgrade components.

Terry
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

According to everymac.com, for all 1.8 GHz G5 iMacs, you're stuck with the original processor.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Your imac is now four years old and the slim design of the machine incorporates the CPU as part of the logic board so an upgrade similar to the G4 towers etc. is not possible, alas.

Best result maybe to sell prior to release of Snow Leopard, which is reported to be multi core Intel compatible only, and look for an Intel iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

The only Macs that are officially upgradeable internally are PowerMacs / Mac Pros. You're usually limited to RAM and the harddrive on all other models.

The RAM is limited by the motherboard / chipset, but even PCs from that era are likely to be capped to about 2GB.
QUOTE Thanks
dchen510

dchen510 is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
According to everymac.com, for all 1.8 GHz G5 iMacs, you're stuck with the original processor.
He's right.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Pro RAM question | Resurrecting my dead iMac G5 !!! :'( »