New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - My iMac's power supply is shot. :(

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

imakuni

imakuni is on a distinguished road

So, I have an earlier all-white Intel iMac. It hasn't caused me any ill what-so-ever in two years.

Suddenly it won't power on at all. The outlet works fine. I switched power cables as well.

Nothing.

So...I am assuming that I need to switch the power supply. But how?

I really don't want to drive 3 hours to Pittsburgh or Cleveland to shell out a bazillion dollars. Nor do I have the time to take up such an epic quest. (finals coming up)

Please help. I'm tired or crying myself to sleep at night. I have a final project due and I need to use my Final Cut Studio!
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Try here iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories or your nearest computer recycling centre. Believe it or not, some people dump their computers for minor reasons, even computers as modern as yours, they just go and buy another one. I don't know myself, but can one reset the PMU in an Intel iMac?

And don't cry yourself to sleep at night - it makes your eyelids go rusty.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

And also try the suggestions in the following link:-

Resuscitate an unconscious Mac | Macworld

Good luck and keep us posted?
QUOTE Thanks
imakuni

Thanks for the input. I looking for fixit guides right now.

Let me clarify though, this isn't a starting up problem. It doesn't turn on at all. The little night light thingy on the bottom isn't working at all so I'm assuming that means that the power supply is shot.

The iFixit doesn't have guides for desktops it seems. I found one for my iMac, but this still doesn't tell me where to get a replacement power supply.
QUOTE Thanks
xcapepr

xcapepr is on a distinguished road

I dont know how tech savvy (or fearless) you are, but if you remove the front cover and the lower EMI shield you will have access to the diagnostic leds. One of the leds indicate the status of the PSU.

For reference, google up the service source pdf for your model... they are all there in the cloud...

iMac 24' Penryn - 2.8Ghz, 1TB Seagate Baracuda ES.2, 4GB OCZ PC-6400
MacBook Pro 15' Memron - 2.2Ghz, 250GB WD Scorpio, 4GB OCZ PC-5300
iPhone 3G 16GB
QUOTE Thanks
imakuni

I am scared to open it a little, but can I even get a replacement power supply in the first place?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by imakuni View Post
I am scared to open it a little, but can I even get a replacement power supply in the first place?
Yes, you can get replacements. I Googled for the info, but there aren't too many out there. Where is your nearest Mac (Apple) store? Be prepared for a shock at the price. If you can find one elsewhere, like a computer repair place, or recycling centre, you may be in luck.

Here's a useful resource for manuals: baconeggs.co.uk
QUOTE Thanks
imakuni

I'm really in a pinch right now so I guess it is off to Pittsburgh or Cleveland (about the same distance from my house)....
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

Quote:
Originally Posted by imakuni View Post
I'm really in a pinch right now so I guess it is off to Pittsburgh or Cleveland (about the same distance from my house).
Don't make the journey without phoning ahead to see if a replacement unit is in fact available [trust me, I live over an hour's drive from my nearest Mac service centre].

I gather you're not willing to try replacing the psu yourself. Before you decide finally, take a look at a few YouTube videos of people dismantling iMacs to replace or upgrade some component within. You may be surprised at what you can do yourself.
QUOTE Thanks
rembrandt

rembrandt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro

You will be able to get a replacement. Only about a week ago, my first iMac I which I still own is a pre intel G5 before they even had iSight built in. Well the thing just stopped turning on. When I pressed the start up button it just made a quick whirring sound then shut down again.

I opened mine up and found 4 led lights on the board. Don't remember what they all were but the first was that there was power, the second was to show enough continuous power or something similar so I knew it was the power supply that needed replacing.

I emailed a bunch of local Mac retailers and had to give them my serial number so they could find the correct part. One of them did and I ended up paying $150 dollars Australian which I thought was pretty good.

Now I still have my old G5 and it's working better than ever. Much quieter too.
QUOTE Thanks
chromeboy007

chromeboy007 is an unknown at this point

Hi there,

I'm having the same issue as imakuni... my iMac won't start at all. It is not intel though. It was purchased in 2005 if I remember correctly.

My Mac started having problems maybe a few days ago. The fan wouldn't stop, or once it goes into sleep mode it wouldn't wake up.. then yesterday it started just turning off on its own, usually it just turns off like some one has unplugged the power cord, but once it actually pops a screen up that says I have to turn my Mac off in like 5 different languages...

This morning twice it just turned itself off... the second time seemed like a final nail to the coffin and since then I haven't been able to start it back up. When I first tried to restart it the white light power indicator would flash once, but the Mac doesn't start.. and after that no flash at all.

The power outlet is fine... the only silly thing I haven't tried tested is the power cord which I'll try with a friend's Mac soon but I think my power is shot like imakuni's. I've done some research before I posted here, looks like my motherboard might be wrecked too.. dont know though.

Any advice will help.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chromeboy007

chromeboy007 is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembrandt View Post
Now I still have my old G5 and it's working better than ever. Much quieter too.
Yes... my Mac hasn't gotten very noisy over the past year or so.... especially when I play CD's in it
QUOTE Thanks
R0GV3

R0GV3 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac 17" Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz 1gb 160gb back from the dead! :) , Ibook G4 14" 1.33ghz 1.25gb 120gb

Hi i am having a similar problem with my imac core 2. one day it just didn't turn on. I opened it up and ran volt meter on the psu the 120v ac was there but there wasn't any 24V dc output. i looked on the bottom of the psu and there was little evidence of a short and non of the capacitor have leaked. but the two gray output solders where bridged and similar to the black solders. i took it to my local mac dealer and questioned the gentlemen there to see if it was the problem he said it would be a fifty, fifty chance it could be psu or logic board. now from anyone else's experience what would be the culprit. i also looked for the diagnostic led's the weren't operational
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Display problem when disconnecting iMac from TV | Mac mini G4 Noise Level »