New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac mini 80 gig HD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

01AWW18T

Anyone know if the 80 gig HD in the mac mini is 5400 rpm ? and does it have 2 meg or 8 meg cache?
QUOTE Thanks
briang

briang is on a distinguished road

i do know that is a 4200. i may be getting a 60gb 7200 drive for mine though.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

It's 2.5", so 7200 isn't an option yet...

EDIT: Sorry, I correct myself, just saw that there are 2.5" 7200 drives...
But heat might be an issue at that speed...
QUOTE Thanks
shift

shift is on a distinguished road

Hey guys!! I am on my Mac Mini as we speak. I did upgrade my original Mini 40 giger to a 80 gig. I am not sure what RPM is, but its a sweet ***** unit!! Very very quite, smaller then my external burner and it does not even get warm. I finally figure out how to get on the web and this was the 1st place I came to.

-I am still trying to get used to the Mac format. Some little things I really have to get use to like no scroll mouse and Safari is windows explorer. lol

Btw,, how to I inlarge my view of this site? I click that green button on the top of the webpage but its only about half the size of my 17" monitor. Can I get a bigger view while on the web?? If so how? I clicked on View and there seems not to be noting to enlage my browserr to full view.
QUOTE Thanks
01AWW18T

Hi Shift, if you figure out what the speed is on your 80 gig HD or even the model number. can you let us know?

Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift
Hey guys!! I am on my Mac Mini as we speak. I did upgrade my original Mini 40 giger to a 80 gig. I am not sure what RPM is, but its a sweet ***** unit!! Very very quite, smaller then my external burner and it does not even get warm. I finally figure out how to get on the web and this was the 1st place I came to.

-I am still trying to get used to the Mac format. Some little things I really have to get use to like no scroll mouse and Safari is windows explorer. lol

Btw,, how to I inlarge my view of this site? I click that green button on the top of the webpage but its only about half the size of my 17" monitor. Can I get a bigger view while on the web?? If so how? I clicked on View and there seems not to be noting to enlage my browserr to full view.
QUOTE Thanks
shift

How can I find out?? Is there a properties setting. I am not to stong on Mac computers. Been a long time I ever even messed w/ one
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Shift if you want to make a window bigger. Just click and drag the right corner edge. Drag to the size that you want it to be.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
shift

Rman, thanks bro. That was easy. I did learn a lot today.

I did look at the HD info and it does not tell me the HD rpm speed. It tells me what is avaliable and used and other yadda yadda yedda, but no rpm speed.

By the looks of it, it does not seem to fast. I am doing a dvd backup right now. And the gig dvd was about 7 gig and the rip time on Mac the Ripper was about 25 minutes. And now on dvd2oneX doing the full movie in constant mode and 4444mb its about 35 minutes to completion. The hard drive is now a little loud since I am compress that dvd movie file from the HD. Over all I bet its a 7200 rpm. It just would not make too much sense to put a 5500 rpm HD, that is whats in my PC laptop. Over all my expression for dvd backup, Mac's are too slow.
I perfer my pc to do that work. And my Mac to play w/ graphics and photo/movie/capture and editing. Over all I am happy w/ the Mac mini it's unique.
QUOTE Thanks
briang

briang is on a distinguished road

pretty sure it's a 4200 from talking to the dude from apple.com
QUOTE Thanks
Echo_

its 4200 l
i hope apple upgrades those to 5400 or 7200 in this and the ibook
QUOTE Thanks
shift

Really 4200 ewwwwwwwwwwwwww. Now I know why it was slow at ripping. Here is my report:

I feel backing up dvds on a mac is a slow process and can take over 1.3 hours.

This is a 3-step process using: Mac The Ripper, DvD2oneX and Toast (or other burning tool)

Here is the time frame on a 7.22 gig movie:

Mac the Ripper - Rips full movie at 25 minutes into HD folder 7.22 gigs

DvD2OneX - Copies, compress FULL 7.22 movie into another folder in 35 minutes at Consistand MODE.

Toast (Burner) - Depending what speed disk you use, lets just say 4x dvdR about 14 minutes.

Grand total time wasted: 1 hr and 14 minutes.

-----------------

While on a PC:

using shrink: about 25 minutes
Nero to Burn: 15 minutes

Total time wasted: 40 minutes.
(My pc is a 1ghz Duron w/ 20 gig hd LAPTOP by Compaq).

Well you choose?

I will do dvd video backup on my PC. As for my mac I will be doing Video editing.

Untill Mac comes out w/ something like Shrink from the PC. PC is my hand of choice to do my dvd backups. Hurry some one make a SHRINK for Mac's
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

DVD Shrink is a very FAST program that is for sure. I think that is part of it. It Flys on my P4 2.53Ghz. I tried Mac The Ripper on my G4 500 and it took maybe 45 minutes but for a 500 G4 that is really not that bad at all. I wish they would do a OSX version of DVD Shrink. It's the best program I have used to backup my DVD's.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Really 4200 ewwwwwwwwwwwwww. Now I know why it was slow at ripping. Here is my report:

This is a 3-step process using: Mac The Ripper, DvD2oneX and Toast (or other burning tool)

DvD2OneX - Copies, compress FULL 7.22 movie into another folder in 35 minutes at Consistand MODE.

Toast (Burner) - Depending what speed disk you use, lets just say 4x dvdR about 14 minutes.

-----------------

While on a PC:

Well you choose?

I will do dvd video backup on my PC. As for my mac I will be doing Video editing.

Untill Mac comes out w/ something like Shrink from the PC. PC is my hand of choice to do my dvd backups. Hurry some one make a SHRINK for Mac's
Using the same tools, it taks me about 15 minutes each on a PowerMac G4 1.25GHz. (ripping, converting burning)
Ok, my disk is fater, the CPU has 1MB of Level 3 cache and I have lots of memory...which all has an impact on the speed...
QUOTE Thanks
jfenton

Quote:

-----------------

While on a PC:

Well you choose?

Make no mistake about the speed of the mac mini. It may be slower than other macs, but its speed in ripping moving or other processes is dependent on the software you use. I have never used any of the mac software that this guy used, but let me explain what I do know. Mac the ripper is a ripping program, that is all. It allows you to copy a movie to a harddrive. DVD2OneX is a compressing program. It will compress a copied movie. Toast is for burning. Now comes the real distinction. DVDShrink (which I use quite often) is often referred to as a transcoder. It allows DVD ripping and compressing on the fly that is why its so fast on a PC. Its not that the mac is slower your just using more programs. If you assume the ripping and transcoding (as in DVDShrink) is a simultaneous process with no compremises in time. The time to rip and transcode (25minutes for a mac) and burn is actually 1 minute faster than a pc.

So to sumerize, the mac is not slower at dvd ripping you just used more programs. That does not make it slower.
QUOTE Thanks
shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7
DVD Shrink is a very FAST program that is for sure. I think that is part of it. It Flys on my P4 2.53Ghz. I tried Mac The Ripper on my G4 500 and it took maybe 45 minutes but for a 500 G4 that is really not that bad at all. I wish they would do a OSX version of DVD Shrink. It's the best program I have used to backup my DVD's.

I think what I am going to try to do is install VPC w/ Windows2000 and install Shrink. I wonder how it would do. hummmm..... :spook:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Finder Question...help! | OS 9.2 Hang on startup Help plz »