New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Macs and RAM.............

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pscl227

pscl227 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini @ 1.5Ghz, 1GB ram, 12.1" ibook 1.33Ghz 1GB ram

right okay, i have just purchased my self a mini mac......and i notice that all macs ship with a lot less memory compared with their pc counterparts, are they more efficent at managing memory than pcs or is thier another reason for this?
QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscl227
right okay, i have just purchased my self a mini mac......and i notice that all macs ship with a lot less memory compared with their pc counterparts, are they more efficent at managing memory than pcs or is thier another reason for this?
Yep, i would say they are, however the 256 that comes with some of them is really rather stingy and I would recommend a minum of 512 for normal work.
QUOTE Thanks
pscl227

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
Yep, i would say they are, however the 256 that comes with some of them is really rather stingy and I would recommend a minum of 512 for normal work.
yer, well i got a 512MB module sitting here waiting for my mac mini.............just have to get my hands on a putty knife now!...........mean like even the top end dual processor g5's only come with 512MB memory as standard
QUOTE Thanks
dynasty

How many ram slots are there for the mini?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Only one slot

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

I thought only apple could install ram on the mac mini.
QUOTE Thanks
pscl227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
I thought only apple could install ram on the mac mini.
nope it appears that it will be a rather easy job upgrading the mini mac with ram, and even with the bluetooth/wireless modules if you could ever get your hands on them...........presuming that all the motherboards have the headers for them
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
nope it appears that it will be a rather easy job upgrading the mini mac with ram, and even with the bluetooth/wireless modules if you could ever get your hands on them...........presuming that all the motherboards have the headers for them
My only concern would be that, if Apple does state that RAM must be installed by them, opening the mini and installing it yourself might void the warranty. I would just double-check with Apple before performing the installation.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
pscl227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan
My only concern would be that, if Apple does state that RAM must be installed by them, opening the mini and installing it yourself might void the warranty. I would just double-check with Apple before performing the installation.
apprently as long as you dont damage it whilst upgrading it, it is still covered
QUOTE Thanks
briang

briang is on a distinguished road

it looks like it's just 184 pin, pc2700 RAM. I found a gig on pricewatch for less than $100. even if i pay the shop down the street $40 to install it, i'm still in warranty, and i've saved about $200, plus whatever i get for the 512mb i get with the mac mini.

thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang
it looks like it's just 184 pin, pc2700 RAM. I found a gig on pricewatch for less than $100. even if i pay the shop down the street $40 to install it, i'm still in warranty, and i've saved about $200, plus whatever i get for the 512mb i get with the mac mini.

thoughts?
I would make sure that the RAM is guaranteed to work with the mini. Macs can be picky about memory, so I only purchase from places that test and guarantee the RAM to work in my machine.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
briang

briang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan
I would make sure that the RAM is guaranteed to work with the mini. Macs can be picky about memory, so I only purchase from places that test and guarantee the RAM to work in my machine.
yeah, that ram said that it was very picky. here's my next question. the web site says it takes pc2700, but when i look at the my mac info, it says pc3200. so is mac lying to us, or what? i've ordered 1gb of pc2700 from newegg (buffalo tech i think for $165) and i'm going to have compusa install it, but should i get the pc3200? i figure, with a FSB of 167, it only operate at pc2700 anyway.

thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
yeah, that ram said that it was very picky. here's my next question. the web site says it takes pc2700, but when i look at the my mac info, it says pc3200. so is mac lying to us, or what? i've ordered 1gb of pc2700 from newegg (buffalo tech i think for $165) and i'm going to have compusa install it, but should i get the pc3200? i figure, with a FSB of 167, it only operate at pc2700 anyway.

thoughts?
Depending on price offer and availability, Apple might aswell put PC3200 RAMs in the Mac mini, but they will run at PC2700 speed.
As you already mentionned, it's the 167MHz FSB (DDR 333) which sets the memory speed (DDR3333 = PC2700)
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:

thoughts?
As I've posted ad nauseum elsewhere the FSB figures are pretty meaningless as it is the RAM driver speed that matters. If Apple specify that it needs 3200 RAM then you should either buy that or get the best named 2700 RAM that you can (low end 3200 RAM is cheaper than high end 2700 anyway).

I've put cheap RAM in PCs and had it not work then put it in Apples and it works and I've had cheap RAM that doesn't work in Apples that does work in PCs, it's all rather chaotic IMHO.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
PCs ship with the minimum required to "work", as do Apples. It just so happens that the minimum required to "work" is higher (about double) on Windross systems than it is on Unix ones, ask MS why that happens to be the case.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Beige G3 help | Want the good news? »