Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    Mac Mini @ 1.5Ghz, 1GB ram, 12.1" ibook 1.33Ghz 1GB ram
    Macs and RAM.............
    right okay, i have just purchased my self a mini mac......and i notice that all macs ship with a lot less memory compared with their pc counterparts, are they more efficent at managing memory than pcs or is thier another reason for this?

Specs:
    Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"
    Quote Originally Posted by pscl227
    right okay, i have just purchased my self a mini mac......and i notice that all macs ship with a lot less memory compared with their pc counterparts, are they more efficent at managing memory than pcs or is thier another reason for this?
    Yep, i would say they are, however the 256 that comes with some of them is really rather stingy and I would recommend a minum of 512 for normal work.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by James
    Yep, i would say they are, however the 256 that comes with some of them is really rather stingy and I would recommend a minum of 512 for normal work.
    yer, well i got a 512MB module sitting here waiting for my mac mini.............just have to get my hands on a putty knife now!...........mean like even the top end dual processor g5's only come with 512MB memory as standard

dynasty
    How many ram slots are there for the mini?

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    Only one slot
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Specs:
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
    I thought only apple could install ram on the mac mini.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Macman
    I thought only apple could install ram on the mac mini.
    nope it appears that it will be a rather easy job upgrading the mini mac with ram, and even with the bluetooth/wireless modules if you could ever get your hands on them...........presuming that all the motherboards have the headers for them

Specs:
    14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
    nope it appears that it will be a rather easy job upgrading the mini mac with ram, and even with the bluetooth/wireless modules if you could ever get your hands on them...........presuming that all the motherboards have the headers for them
    My only concern would be that, if Apple does state that RAM must be installed by them, opening the mini and installing it yourself might void the warranty. I would just double-check with Apple before performing the installation.
    ~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Padawan
    My only concern would be that, if Apple does state that RAM must be installed by them, opening the mini and installing it yourself might void the warranty. I would just double-check with Apple before performing the installation.
    apprently as long as you dont damage it whilst upgrading it, it is still covered

what kind of ram are you putting in yours?
    it looks like it's just 184 pin, pc2700 RAM. I found a gig on pricewatch for less than $100. even if i pay the shop down the street $40 to install it, i'm still in warranty, and i've saved about $200, plus whatever i get for the 512mb i get with the mac mini.

thoughts?

Specs:
    14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
    Quote Originally Posted by briang
    it looks like it's just 184 pin, pc2700 RAM. I found a gig on pricewatch for less than $100. even if i pay the shop down the street $40 to install it, i'm still in warranty, and i've saved about $200, plus whatever i get for the 512mb i get with the mac mini.

thoughts?
    I would make sure that the RAM is guaranteed to work with the mini. Macs can be picky about memory, so I only purchase from places that test and guarantee the RAM to work in my machine.
    ~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.

Quote Originally Posted by Padawan
    I would make sure that the RAM is guaranteed to work with the mini. Macs can be picky about memory, so I only purchase from places that test and guarantee the RAM to work in my machine.
    yeah, that ram said that it was very picky. here's my next question. the web site says it takes pc2700, but when i look at the my mac info, it says pc3200. so is mac lying to us, or what? i've ordered 1gb of pc2700 from newegg (buffalo tech i think for $165) and i'm going to have compusa install it, but should i get the pc3200? i figure, with a FSB of 167, it only operate at pc2700 anyway.

thoughts?

Specs:
    PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
    yeah, that ram said that it was very picky. here's my next question. the web site says it takes pc2700, but when i look at the my mac info, it says pc3200. so is mac lying to us, or what? i've ordered 1gb of pc2700 from newegg (buffalo tech i think for $165) and i'm going to have compusa install it, but should i get the pc3200? i figure, with a FSB of 167, it only operate at pc2700 anyway.

thoughts?
    Depending on price offer and availability, Apple might aswell put PC3200 RAMs in the Mac mini, but they will run at PC2700 speed.
    As you already mentionned, it's the 167MHz FSB (DDR 333) which sets the memory speed (DDR3333 = PC2700)

The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
    Specs:
    24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

thoughts?
    As I've posted ad nauseum elsewhere the FSB figures are pretty meaningless as it is the RAM driver speed that matters. If Apple specify that it needs 3200 RAM then you should either buy that or get the best named 2700 RAM that you can (low end 3200 RAM is cheaper than high end 2700 anyway).

I've put cheap RAM in PCs and had it not work then put it in Apples and it works and I've had cheap RAM that doesn't work in Apples that does work in PCs, it's all rather chaotic IMHO.

Amen-Moses

The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
    Specs:
    24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
    PCs ship with the minimum required to "work", as do Apples. It just so happens that the minimum required to "work" is higher (about double) on Windross systems than it is on Unix ones, ask MS why that happens to be the case.

Amen-Moses

Thread Information