New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

start-up problem-plz look

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

stix

OK' I use a g4-800 quicksiliver in the studio no problems--then I got a g3 400 blue ad white for the internet--of course it was used--but a good deal. But anyway when I turned it on the only thing I got was a flashing (?) and folder--in the center of the screen---so I assumed the system had no OS on it --I installed 9.0.4 because I new it was stable and the desktop came up and work fine--but when I shut it off -same thing again flashing question mark and folder---so for sake I had a disc from my g4 that was 9.2 so I put it in and installed it got the cpu back up and running again--but Im affraid to turn it off because then I wont know what to get it going again---is there a start up parameter thats not right --I check the drive its a older maxtor from 1997 5400 rpm -and the jumper was in theright place for master but dont know what else it could be--plz help.
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

Did you format (erase) the drive before installing the OS?

I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I know who holds tomorrow.
QUOTE Thanks
stix

yes the drive was formatted before the 9.0.4 then I checked the clean install box when I put in the 9.2---a friend said the 9.2 wont work since it was designed for my g4 but the read me section said it would--and its working--im not much on tech stuff on the mac --thought maybe updating the firmware that would fix it--but you have to shut off the computer to do that--so I cant do that untill I fix the other problem. hey if you dont mind check out my other thread in the ( older software ) forum I have another question there too---thanks stix
QUOTE Thanks
stix

Quote:
Originally Posted by stix
yes the drive was formatted before the 9.0.4 then I checked the clean install box when I put in the 9.2---a friend said the 9.2 wont work since it was designed for my g4 but the read me section said it would--and its working--im not much on tech stuff on the mac --thought maybe updating the firmware that would fix it--but you have to shut off the computer to do that--so I cant do that untill I fix the other problem. hey if you dont mind check out my other thread in the ( older software ) forum I have another question there too---thanks stix
sorry ( other software ) was the forum
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I've converted | How to open a Mac mini »