stix
    start-up problem-plz look
    OK' I use a g4-800 quicksiliver in the studio no problems--then I got a g3 400 blue ad white for the internet--of course it was used--but a good deal. But anyway when I turned it on the only thing I got was a flashing (?) and folder--in the center of the screen---so I assumed the system had no OS on it --I installed 9.0.4 because I new it was stable and the desktop came up and work fine--but when I shut it off -same thing again flashing question mark and folder---so for sake I had a disc from my g4 that was 9.2 so I put it in and installed it got the cpu back up and running again--but Im affraid to turn it off because then I wont know what to get it going again---is there a start up parameter thats not right --I check the drive its a older maxtor from 1997 5400 rpm -and the jumper was in theright place for master but dont know what else it could be--plz help.

Specs:
    Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
    Did you format (erase) the drive before installing the OS?
    I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I know who holds tomorrow.

stix
    yes the drive was formatted before the 9.0.4 then I checked the clean install box when I put in the 9.2---a friend said the 9.2 wont work since it was designed for my g4 but the read me section said it would--and its working--im not much on tech stuff on the mac --thought maybe updating the firmware that would fix it--but you have to shut off the computer to do that--so I cant do that untill I fix the other problem. hey if you dont mind check out my other thread in the ( older software ) forum I have another question there too---thanks stix

stix
    Quote Originally Posted by stix
    yes the drive was formatted before the 9.0.4 then I checked the clean install box when I put in the 9.2---a friend said the 9.2 wont work since it was designed for my g4 but the read me section said it would--and its working--im not much on tech stuff on the mac --thought maybe updating the firmware that would fix it--but you have to shut off the computer to do that--so I cant do that untill I fix the other problem. hey if you dont mind check out my other thread in the ( older software ) forum I have another question there too---thanks stix
    sorry ( other software ) was the forum

Thread Information