New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Help Configuring Mac Pro with Hot-Swap external drives + RAID5, bootcamp

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

llanowar

llanowar is on a distinguished road

Hi all. My office was recently awarded a grant to upgrade some of our lab computers. I am trying to get some Mac Pros through the door and need a little help (I am not up to speed on what's available/possible with the Mac Pro).

I would ideally like to present a package to my boss that includes the following:

Mac Pro with ...
the 4x internal SATA drives RAID 5 for data (RAID card needs to function in OS X and/or Boot Camp Vista) - CalDigit??

2x separate boot drives (one OS X, one boot camp Windows Vista) - use external drives? or maybe the bottom optical drive bay?

External eSATA box with hot-swap drives (maybe the g-speed es?)

Would it be wise to just JBOD the g-speed, using 2 of the 4 drives as boot disks, leaving the other 2x for the needed hot swap drives?

- or maybe consider an optical drive bay sled that accommodates 2x SATA drives for the boot disks (not sure if this would allow Windows to boot).

Basically, I need a fast I/O Mac with at least 1TB of storage, a few hot swap drives and can use all hardware whether booted in OS X or Windows Vista.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac hanging with new HD | G5 and Graphics Issues »