New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Correlation between faster HDD rpm speeds + loud fan noise?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sonique128

sonique128 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" Intel iMac

I have an Aluminum Intel 24" 2.4ghz iMac which was purchased a little more than a year ago.

This week the hard drive that came with the computer went six feet under and so I replaced it with a newer one. Since my 1 year warranty was over (a week ago), I replaced the hard drive myself.

After hooking everything up, it boots up with the "macintosh" noise fine, then the fan kicks in and stays on and fairly loud (~3300rpm all the time). All the internal temperatures are fine too. This annoys me, so I switch back to the old hard drive (which still can be booted up), and the fan stays completely silent like it always was.

Now, is there something that I did wrong with my swap? Or is my new hard drive with a faster, I think, RPM (Seagate 750gig 7200rpm) causing this? Any help would be awesome. I've tried resetting the SMU many times, and that has not worked. Thanks guys
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The system may be indexing the new hard drive. If so, the fan noise should settle down after awhile once everything has been indexed. Give it a few days before doing anything else. If the fan noise continues after that, you can always return the drive for a refund.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
sonique128

It's continuing onto day 2 now. Is that still normal? I know you said a few days...

Thanks for any help though!
QUOTE Thanks
sonique128

While searching around, I found a thread where someone installed a harddrive wrong which caused the loud fan

Apple - Support - Discussions - Noisy Fan ...

What could I have done wrong to make it do that? The HD install seemed pretty straight forward...
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

After reading the thread you provided it seems there are several things which could impact on the fan speed. Go back over the replacement process and make sure everything is where it's supposed to be. For example: Did you accidently dislodge a thermal sensor? Sometimes it's easy to miss a small sensor or cable that was attached to the original drive.

An iMac is a compact machine - it's really a large notebook computer on its side.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Chilbear

Chilbear is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5

After reading the document, have you tried the simple thing - shut it off and wait for 30 seconds. Sometimes a startup versus a restart can repair things. I leave my iMac on 24/7 but log out every day AND I have mine plugged into a battery backup because of local power issues.
QUOTE Thanks
sonique128

AMFITEATAR - Naucni portal - Upgrade your iMac 20" or iMac 24" aluminum 2007 & 2008 to 1.5TB Hard Drive and 4 GB RAM - DIY Guide

That's the guide that I've reference for the hard drive switch. Where would all the thermal sensors be? I want to double check.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Step 5 of the DIY instruction you followed clearly shows the removal of a temperature sensor from the drive and warns not to bend its pins. It also states the sensor looks like a transistor. It doesn't mention any other sensors regarding the drive so apparently there is only one.

Go back over the DIY even if you have to once more disassemble your iMac and make sure everything is where it's supposed to be, especially that temperature sensor for the drive.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« CD-Drive broken | new to me imac »