New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

is this imac dead?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

amacnut

Well, it's like this.
I have an imac G3 333, and it was good. One day a flashing questionmark turned up. Shutdown/restart. It had gone, only to return and after 3 or 4 further shutdown/startups. I consulted the oracles.
"zap your PRAM" they said. Yes
"reset your CUDA" they chimed. Yes
"hold down as many buttons as you can on startup" yeah, OK
"reload your OS" they chorused. Well, it was running 9.2.2 when it arrived via a warehouse sale, and those disks didn't come with the machine. So I tried 9.1.
"No, it must be the ORIGINAL disks that came with the computer" they laughed. And those would be? 8.5 for yours. So after 3 weeks and a bidding war on Ebay I tried again.
"well obviously your harddrive is fried" they surmised. The man from CompUSA didn't seem to think so, having tested it on a p.c. (the mac man was ill that day)
"tweaked, wobbled and generally poked around with HD connections" Yes
"norton utilities?" Wouldn't get near it.
Generally the proceedure is with every OS: Switch on/flashing questionmark immediately/disk in/disk reading noises/smiley face/startup background/error 41 "finder"
Beginning to suspect CompUSA man of conspiracy, I plugged the HD into an old p.c. that was lying around. Yes, the disk worked, but it was also full, it said. Ah! with 6GB gone, it was unable to accept any more commands or even go through the reinstall process, I thought. So, I erased all the data and reformatted in Dos, hoping that the imac would reformat the disk later...was this stupid? the p.c. was capable of it....having first seen that there was space to play with.
So now I've erased all the data I had and it still does the same, it never even gets near the HD it seems. Motherboard?
I am beginning to hate that imac, which is a shame, because my son loves it.

I am lost. Help?
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

you need to connect the hd or imac with hd installed to another mac via firewire and startup in target disk mode, then use diskutility to reformat as mac os extended journaled. do you have another mac, or a friend with a mac? o wait os 9, mac os extended, not journaled.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

I don't think an iMac/333 has FireWire
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist
I don't think an iMac/333 has FireWire
Correct - it doesn't.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
amacnut

I'm runninc a 600SE with Firewire, but yes, the 333 doesn't. Forgive my stupidity, but if I were to buy a new harddrive for the 333, plug it in, I imagine I would get the same errors because the drive is unformatted? I'm assuming a new drive comes with nothing on it?
QUOTE Thanks
amacnut

I read somewhere that the logic board is probably the culprit.....is there any way of confirming this and if it is, is it worth replacing?

feels like there's water in the engine room....
QUOTE Thanks
Lasha

How do you start up in target disc mode?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasha
How do you start up in target disc mode?
The system that you are going mount as a disk on the other system turn it off. Connect the firewiare cable. Press t on the system that you turn off. Then restart the system (boot). The system will come up with the firewire icon on the screen. If the other system is not on, power it up. In a short time you should see the other system mounted on your disk top as a firewire disk.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

Since you spoke to the oracles did they mention that a low battery can cause startup problems? Since the 333 models are now 6 years old the battery is beyond its reasonable lifespan (unless it has been replaced before.)
QUOTE Thanks
amacnut

yes, I'm afraid that was one attempt I should have added. That was my first port of call upon opening it up for the first time. You've all been terribly helpful so far, it's just that I feel the water is coming up the lift shafts as we speak...I'm not being much help am I?
QUOTE Thanks
stix

Ok Im having the same prob with my g3 400 9.2.2---the only way I can get it going is to put in OS disc to install a operating system...Now that I got it going Im affraid to shut it down--because I know when I start it back up I will get the same flashing question mark and folder---so whats everybody think bad or corrupted drive or dead battery--or logic board( i dont even know what that is --sounds expensive--) does anybody know???thanks
stix
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Show off your Mac mini!!! | Strange iMac internet speed problem »