New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac problems with CD-RWs (Iomega USB and LaCie FireWire)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

HelpMyiMac

iMac Power PC 750 slot loader, PCG3 400 MHz, OS X 10.3.7. I bought an Iomega CD-RW 52x USB that allows me to write to a CD but not rewrite; and I also bought a LaCie FireWire CD-RW; this device won't mount. Any ideas? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
pphking

pphking is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM

I had an Iomega CD writer that OS X could not recognise .

To get round the problem I bought a product called "Discribe" online.
On Discribes site you can download a trial version that let's you do 5 burns to check compatability with your writer.

This link should give you what you need
http://www.macmusic.org/softs/view.php/lang/EN/id/625/

Hope this helps
Paul
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

you know you have to erase a cdrw first, right? as far as the lacie, check system profiler to see if it shows as being connected to the firewire port, if not, try connecting another firewire device to the same port, if not, your firewire port is out, if it shows up, the problem is with the lacie burner, try another firewire cable or call lacie and get your burner replaced.
QUOTE Thanks
stujay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
you know you have to erase a cdrw first, right? as far as the lacie, check system profiler to see if it shows as being connected to the firewire port, if not, try connecting another firewire device to the same port, if not, your firewire port is out, if it shows up, the problem is with the lacie burner, try another firewire cable or call lacie and get your burner replaced.
I'm new to macs, and I'm having trouble with CD-RW, too. My Imac G5 (with Superdrive) treats the CD-RW disk as if it's a CD-R disk. I tried erasing it with the disk utility, then dragging a file onto the blank disk (which is displayed as "CD-R," and I still only get the "burn" option. Once I burn, the disk can't be burned again.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
HelpMyiMac

Quote:
OK, I am both a PC and Mac user--on my PC I don't have to completely erase a CDRW disk in order to overwrite a file on the disk. Is this a difference between Macs and PCs?
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

you have to erase it first, or you can write a multisession disc, but you have to set it as a multisession disc at first burn.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

here:http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=160588
QUOTE Thanks
HelpMyiMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pphking
I had an Iomega CD writer that OS X could not recognise .

To get round the problem I bought a product called "Discribe" online.
On Discribes site you can download a trial version that let's you do 5 burns to check compatability with your writer.

This link should give you what you need
http://www.macmusic.org/softs/view.php/lang/EN/id/625/

Hope this helps
Paul
Thanks for getting back to me. I think I've solved my Iomega problem with Toast Lite, still not getting my LaCie FireWire to work. Again, thanks for replying. -- Alan
QUOTE Thanks
HelpMyiMac

Quote:
Thanks, Macman, for all your replies. I am smarter about CDRWs now, eh? When I erase the disk first my Iomega CDRW works as it should, I still need to look in the Toast user's manual on how to set up for multisession recording. With regard to my LaCie, this is the second one of these machines I have tried on my FireWire port, so I'm thinking the port is no good. Again, thanks for your help, I think I'm done. Have a great day! -- Alan
QUOTE Thanks
pphking

pphking is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM

Your welcome Alan

Paul
QUOTE Thanks
HelpMyiMac

In order to get my LaCie CDRW to work I had to download a firmware update from the LaCie web site. The firmware update didn't work unless you press the OPTION key when you start up the updater; when you see the message "erasing" you can let go. Then the firmware updater works, the CD mounts, and the drive is recognized in About This Mac. There is also a recent Mac LaCie software update that you have to download; it is on the LaCie site under SUPPORT...OPTICAL.

You should know that before calling LaCie tech support I upgraded the iMac firmware to 4.1.9, reset PRAM, repaired permissions, and reset the logic board by removing and replacing the battery. It was only after doing all these things that I called LaCie tech support. I had unsatisfying e-mail exchanges with them earlier, but a smart person suggested that phone support might be better. It was.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G5 2 Ghz vs 2.5 Ghz | G5 Advise? Need your help »